The saga of the wooden San Jose Schools BATHROOM PASS continues

Page 2 of 4
John Paquay wrote, on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 04:51:58 -0400:

She's brand new to teaching, but, it turns out that classroom management is a standard problem in these multi-ethnic San Jose schools.
One teacher uses a bathroom plunger, as his bathroom pass.

What it (attempts to) accomplish is the reduce undue interruptions of the classroom environment.
We all know that the kids can go to the bathroom plenty of other times, but, all kids will take advantage of a "free pass" out of jail, if even for only 10 minutes (which they can synchronize with other friends, if they're clever).
What the pass does, first and foremost, is it discourages such intents. Also, it allows the teacher to continue teaching, uninterrupted, as the students just get up, grab the pass, and return, unannounced.
It also is very clear to everyone, what the purpose of the kid is, whether grabbing the pass or walking the hallways. It's also not something they can leave hidden in the hallway while they surreptitiously run a'muck about the hallways or outdoors to catch a smoke or whatever.
Likewise, it prevents multiple kids (from the same classroom anyway) leaving the room at any one time.
Furthermore, it's obvious to all whether the bathroom pass is in use or not. It's like the red sign on an airplane bathroom door showing it's in use, rather than what we have to do at a McDonalds, which is to jiggle the doorknob repeatedly to find out if someone is in there.
And, being so large (on purpose), the kids, who almost certainly don't like it, can't lose it easily.
At the very least, it's objectionable to carry (as you noted), which would further discourage the unnecessary potty breaks.
Rest assured, this teacher has at least one kid a day out of her 200, walk out on the class without excuse. She has kids banging on the table, and calling her a b*ch, and plenty of disciplinary problems, all of which are common through all the classes, as she told me most of these kids are being weeded out of the system through their behavior in *all* their classes.
I also find this behavior strange, as *my* kids have always had comments on their report cards of "very polite", "always helpful", "pitches in to volunteer every time I ask", and even once "raises hand to answer questions too often!".
Heh heh ... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ...

I think this teacher, who is brand new, is learning on the job. In California, they go through 3 semesters of graduate training, to obtain a preliminary teaching certificate, two semesters of which have on-the-job training of sorts.
Then, they're thrown to the wolves for 2 more years, until they get their preliminary teaching certificate cleared. At that point, they also get tenure (which is kind'a soon, if you ask me), and then they're bona-fide teachers.
The clearance process, apparently, starts with three weeks of training on "classroom management", which I found odd when I saw that it's the *first* thing they re-train the preliminary-credentialed teachers on.

Out of 200 kids that she has, she estimated, to me, that about 10% are the ones using the bathroom pass constantly. The rest sit and listen.
You have to remember these are Algebra classes, where probably only a small percentage of the kids (maybe 1/3?) actually care to learn it. It's a required class for the rest, which they hope to never see again during the rest of their lives.
When is the last time you or I graphed a quadratic equation, for example? Could each of us solve a binomial equation to save our lives? (Building suspension bridges in the redwoods notwithstanding... :)
https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7532/15647694115_c6aaeda78c_c.jpg
Danny D. wrote:

You graph a quadratic function, and solve a quadratic equation. I use the binomial formula almost everyday. How about the Gamma function? Bring it on! ; )

Bill wrote:

Here's a nice problem (an example of a "Galton-Watson" process). Start with 1 thing "alive" at generation 0. Assume it has a 25% chance of dying, a 50% chance of living, and a 25% chance of doubling after each generation. Assume this is true of all such "things". What is the probability that there will be exactly 1 thing alive after 2 generations?
I believe that a great solution technique to problems like this has been (re-)discovered numerous times. Hint: If the question is changed to What is the probability that there will be exactly k things alive after n generations? The answer is the same as the value of the coefficient on x^k of the function f(x)=(1/4 + 1/2 x + 1/4 x^2) composed with itself n times. That this is true I find pretty darn amazing. And it follows from the Binomial formula, which you brought up. The books I've seen leave the reader to figure that out for themselves, so I won't take the fun out of it. Suggestion: Start with a "probability tree".

Bill wrote:

You can probably see how to use this idea to help estimate the distribution of the population of trees n years from now, if you plant a new one today. Of course, there are "overcrowding" issues, but you may be okay for small values of n. So it is on topic. ; ) Any answers for the question given? I've been working on a related one all afternoon so it is fresh in my mind.
On 10/30/2014 12:20 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I've suspected since the beginning that the bathroom pass is just a bandaid on a larger problem. This supports my guess.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
"Danny D." wrote in message

I'd take a different approach... As a complete unmolested lettered board it is a bathroom pass. If altered it is not a bathroom pass and subjects the student carrying it to the same penalties as any other "no pass" or "altered pass" infraction. This would require the cooperation of the teachers and administration who monitor student movement in the hallways... It may require a few repair jobs in the beginning but I suspect that it would not take long for the kids to figure this out. Maybe have two or three board passes initially so there is always a good one available for the kids who really need to go, or who have to deal with their monthly issues.
John

Spare the rod - spoil the child. If you don't believe it, look at the mess we got now.
On 10/30/2014 1:54 PM, Edward R. Rooney wrote:

In the Bible days, the rod was used to nudge sheep back into the flock. Not to beat the sheep.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/30/2014 6:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can spank children and not beat them. If you had ever had children you would know that sometime a pop on the bottom is the only way to get their attention. Discipline must be consistently applied, and ALL people in a position to give discipline, must work to basically the same standard. ie per Theodore_Roosevelt "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
Though children quickly understand that grandpa has slightly different standards of performance than dad. The same applies in all situations the child is place. They are intelligent creature, understand the environment, and what is permissibly in that environment. Otherwise, you would not get the Alien Abduction Syndrome when you let your kids go with someone else. (Alien Abduction Syndrome: The child who has been a terror all afternoon, but later when when a friend's mom returns him, she tells what a perfect child you have)
The problem comes about when you have a parent that thinks the the teacher, the police, and every one else in the world are out to get them. So they think that whenever anything happens to THEIR child, someone is discriminating against or picking on THEIR child.
John Grossbohlin wrote, on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:19:42 -0400:

I like that idea!
The kids would police the kids.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:40:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It gets their attention. That should be all that's needed.
"Danny D." wrote:

The local high school has a single person restroom in each classroom. Problem, solved.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Parents dumping defective kids on the school system.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

CA is noted for the liberal left leaning culture. Very possible the entire school system is run on self esteem, and fragile feelings, instead of old fashioned tried and true.
knuttle wrote, on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:24:10 -0400:

I was wondering why all the teachers commented that my kids were wonderful to know in class.
I had wondered if they had mine mixed up with someone elses'. Now I know what happened.
The aliens did it!
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:23:56 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

When I was a kid, the only classrooms with bathrooms were kindergarten classrooms. I guess it does make sense that they all would now.
On 10/30/14, 10:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

When I was a kid, schools didn't have bathrooms. At home, my mother made us bathe every week.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It's a lot less disruption to the class. I saw them during the last hurricane, when the building was used as a shelter for the disabled and senior citizens.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:52:10 -0400:

Does anyone here have high school kids? Would you ask *them* what they use for a bathroom pass? I'd be interested in the results.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:25:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Less interruption? How so? When we were in high school (long before) there were no "bathroom passes". Classes were 50 minutes with 10 minutes between. Young adults were expected to be potty trained.