Water leak - the saga continues.....

Some may recall several weeks ago I was told I had a leak on my service pipe. It was not visible , just extremely audible. Well I called SWW .

SWW said that they did " one hours free leak detection" and would " repair a leak on a service pipe free of charge providing this was a first leak noted at the property"

This information is also on their web site by the way.

So SWW: a) sent out a man to detect the leak ( this took about a week) b) a week later they sent another man to detect the leak.

Both men , using a wooden pole as a listening device put the leak in roughly the same place. This place was also the same place as my own plumber put it.

c) they then sent a man from Brent services - to detect the leak. The man from Brent put a big blue "X" where he thought the leak was - the same place as the others had suggested. This took him exactly one hour.

Three weeks and four men later,

d) Brent send in two men to dig up where "X" marks the spot. It took them 20 mins.

e) man from Brent said

1) the leak isnt where the X is. Thats all we do. The problem is yours now. You have to get someone to find the leak and repair it.

Long silence I said - and how do I do that then? If four water men cant find it. how do I find it?

Long silence he said

2) If you ring SWW they will give you a list of contractors who will come and do the job for you. You will have to pay them.

3) Its galvanised pipe .

I said and that means ( referring to the galvanised pipe)

Long silence, he said it means you have to sort it out.

I said and the galvanised pipe means?

Long silence ....

4) Its old.

Well the pipe isn't as old as me actually - so I am now officially old!

But undeterred , I said so, its old means....

5) we cant repair it, it will probably have to be replaced.

You will have to pay for it. You have to ring SWW for a list of contractors to do that.

They left.

I rang SWW. They have given me 14 days to sort it out and then they will turn off my water supply. No help. No contractors list. Nothing.

SWW are in my opinion cr*p. A pile of useless and unhelpful, untreated sh*te deeper than that which they process.

Just left with it - no explanation. No help. nothing. What if I had been an old dear of 80? I'd probably have a heart attack with the worry from SWW.

Rant over.

By the way - any suggestions as to what to do now would be helpful.

I am ringing insurance company to see if they can help.

Reply to
mich

contractors

All the above is disgraceful.

It's a warning for all of us though, to be careful when reporting such matters.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

_Service_ industries are a misnomer.

Replace the whole thing with plastic.

The triumph of hope over all other evidence is inspiring.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Since it could be susceptible to burst elsewhere along the pipe, the best option would be to completely renew it with a plastic pipe. The water authority should be able to arrange it although it sounds like there is not much confidence with them.

The cost to dig a trench, dig into house foundations and come up inside house will be in region of £500 if you arrange the contractors yourself. If the water co get their contractors to do it, then it could be 40% more.

Martyn

Reply to
Geosolar Heating

I don't think it's anything to do with privatisation - just bureaucracy.

And still disgraceful.

Mary > >

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was told by the water board this afternoon that it would be nearer £1000 , although their actual price quote was £80 an hour rather than a fixed quote. I have a 150 ft drive and a large bank to dig through and leylandii hedge to come down to complete the works!

I do have a service pipe insurance and have asked them to come and investigate. A bloke is arriving tomorrow.

What p*ssed me off though was the total lack of forthcoming with information from SWW - and the misinformation.

They said detect ( one hour) and fix a leak - they didnt say detect a leak and dig a hole and if we get it wrong and we aint got the leak then you have to sort it all out yourself - and oh by the way we will cut your supply off if it isnt sorted in 14 days.

Had they said that, I would have dug up the drive and relaid a whole new main by now rather than messing around - not be racing against the clock before they cut me off - and with a bank holiday weekend in that.

By the way, its taken them five weeks in total to respond to the leak report .... and they give me two weeks to sort it all out. One law for the privatised industries and another for the paying customer.

Reply to
mich

I was also told I *had* to use contractor off the SWW approved list. When I suggested I might be getting an insurance company to sort it and they would get their own contractor, that condition was waived.

I think people need to think before dealing with water companies.

Reply to
mich

I must say that to date (fingers crossed) Yorkshire Water has been an exceelent supplier of all services to this household.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

And the old Cambridge Water Co are still quite human too:)

Reply to
tony sayer

contractors

Today the insurance company plumber arrived.

He dug down on precisely the spot Brent had dug .......

Behold the leak! A substantial leak in fact.

he is now fixing it.

Cr*p isn't it? How come Brent couldn't see the mud and water? or didn't they want to see it? .

Reply to
mich

I ask myself, is it better else where when watching the likes of "Property in the Sun" etc .... I'd love to think so. Your story I feel typical.

- Oliver

Reply to
Oliver Brearley

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:22:22 +0100, "mich" strung together this:

I think I'd be sending the bill for the job to SWW, they'd do the same if they were called out to a leak on your pipework that you didn't see. Whiile you're at it, loss of earnings, destruction of property, incompetence, costs for calls etc...

Reply to
Lurch

anyone with a good water company experience is lucky. I used to live in a 4th floor flat. our 3 valleys water supply would stop during any high demand. This was when I wanted a shower in a morning before work, and on a saturday morning at about 9AM when everyone gets up and has a shower and starts their washing machines. Only 4th floor was affected. 3 valleys insisted it wasn't their fault. People began fitting water tanks and pumps to try and sort the situation out. The company that built the 4 blocks of 'luxury' flats said we'd need to shell out £1K each for a 'big pump' to increase the pressure.

1 year after I left the water board admitted they had a leak that was lowering pressure and the problem is fixed. They lied barefacedly with no concern for the 9 months I lived in the flat. Absolutely incredible, but not surprising! Matt
Reply to
Matthew Durkin

Why wasn't it surprising?

Mary