The saga of the wooden San Jose Schools BATHROOM PASS continues

Page 1 of 4
The kids in the San Jose school district ruined the Bathroom Pass!
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3950/15018893163_fa337967da_b.jpg
They scraped off the paint to turn it into "DAT ASS". :)
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5604/15452940608_f210c427bb_b.jpg
I won't even snap a picture of what they wrote on the backside.
As you may recall, I was helping a San Jose high school teacher who needed a large bathroom pass so that she could insure (a) that only one student left the room at a time, and (b) it was clear to everyone what they were doing at all times, and (c) it was clear from a glance from anywhere in the classroom that a student was out with the pass, and (d) the pass didn't get easily lost or misplaced by the students.
I had never routed anything, so, I chose to use spray-paint stencils.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5581/15206009895_d1e78b112e_c.jpg
The stencil kit I bought was too large, so, I then printed the fonts:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3880/15019621160_9cbea8454c_h.jpg
I had then cut the letters out and reinforced them with clear tape:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3851/15184091976_63f5c8ff45_b.jpg
Then I spray painted the letters onto a spare yard-long pine board:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3906/15204068231_004fecefff_b.jpg
It wasn't pretty, but, it seemed (at first) to do the job for her:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3922/15021004310_75f0088a92_c.jpg
But, one by one, the kids scraped off the letters to spell DAT ASS: And, they carved and wrote gang graffiti on the back of the board.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5604/15452940608_f210c427bb_b.jpg
So, I sanded off the carvings, and then spray painted the whole thing black (to discourage graffiti), and put the original printed template back on the board:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5588/15207129195_fbf5c19552_b.jpg
I then routed (is that a verb?), by hand, the letters, 3/8" deep:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3941/15453487670_97f9454d6f_c.jpg
I was actually very surprised I could route along the stencil fonts:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3940/15018894163_e94d660280_b.jpg
The result isn't all that pretty, but here is what it looked like:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3942/15615352676_a453c68513_b.jpg
After sanding and cleaning it up a bit, it looked like this:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3951/15639905282_44191d3c19_b.jpg
The letters, with only one pass of the router, were pretty rough:
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3936/15018323224_98787a3ffa_b.jpg
Let's see what the little San Jose vandals do with this new attempt! :)
(ideas always welcome)
On 10/27/2014 2:21 AM, Danny D. wrote:

back, and if there are any letters missing, apply the board of education to the seat of wisdom.
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:05:09 -0400:

It's funny, but, apparently the teacher didn't want to tell me that the spray-painted letters didn't last a week at the school.
She thought I would be upset.
I took it as a challenge, to see if I could keep a bunch of high-school hoodlums at bay. You can't defeat them, but, you can make it hard for them.
So, with the letters now deeply routered (is that a verb?), and the knife marks in the back sanded out, and the back painted black so that the gang graffiti is covered, I think I just made it a bit harder for them to vandalize it.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3950/15018893163_fa337967da_b.jpg
Of course, the teacher told me they unscrewed her desk and hid it two classes down the hall, so, they're formidable opponents.
But, they are kids, after all, and so, I hope that by the end of the year, I'll have a system (titanium perhaps?) that they can't deface!
:)
On 10/27/2014 4:19 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Ideally, the kids are supposed to be learning obedience to law, and some other things like that. If they are defacing the potty pass, maybe they can hold it till class is over? Are these illegal non citizens who started their visit to our country by violating the border laws?
I'm not encouraged when our border agencies permit such incredible disrespect for law.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/25/suspect-in-killing-of-two-california-sheriffs-deputies-was-twice-deported-to-mexico/
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 03:05:09 -0400, Stormin Mormon

    Oddly enough, I agree with the Storming guy this time. A school is supposed to teach children so they become responsible adults. It's not an assault class where the medal goes to the one that breaks the most "laws".     New pass. Anyone altering it in even the tiniest way gets punished. No exceptions.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 10/27/2014 5:44 AM, Shadow wrote:

Sigh. Your reputation is forever destroyed, having agreed with a religious whack job right winger dinger. You'd better vote twice in the election, to begin to repair the damage.
Resurrect Reagan!

To be good little sheeple?

Catholic schools are good at that. Leads to medical problems later in life.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
Bill wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:37:49 -0400:

One teacher in this San Jose school district,uses a toilet plunger, for the same effect.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 08:09:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon

    OMG, what have I done ....     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Bill wrote, on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 00:21:04 -0400:

I fully expect the students to deface this new paddle. But, short of making it out of titanium, I wasn't sure how to proceed. It's kind of like a game of whack-a-mole.
"Danny D." wrote:

A piece of 3/8" steel plate and a welder to form the welded characters from puddled welding rod.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote, on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:50:36 -0700:

Then it's a weapon! :)
On 10/27/2014 10:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

that the discussion is taking place, but that the teacher must revert to such things to keeps some sort of order in the class room. Where are the parents supporting the teacher to keep these little criminals from disrupting the class room.
Oh I forgot they were brought up to have self esteem not be to be good citizen, and respect the people who are trying to help them learn
On 10/28/2014 9:06 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

My knee jerk reaction to the original posting in this thread was not "What's wrong with these kids?", but rather, "What's wrong with this teacher?"
To me, the whole idea of using some (any) ginormous item as a hall pass is stupid, demeaning, and completely counterproductive... not to mention, an exercise in futility. What does this really accomplish?
The good old days were certainly different, but they weren't necessarily always that good. Still, if this is how our educators are now treating our kids, what should we expect from the kids?
Danny's willingness and efforts to help this teacher are admirable, but I'm afraid she needs a kind of help that can't be found in a wood shop. Clearly she is in the wrong profession, and a big chunk of wood is not going to change that. Foolishness, yes. But it makes me a little sad for the kids.
--
This is my signature. Really. I'm not kidding. Stop reading now.

On 10/28/2014 4:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

responsibility for the children they bring into the world the kid problems will only get worse.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:13:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

That's only half of the saying we were taught in college. It was called the "Engineer's Creed: The engineer designs the best possible product, on the specified schedule, at the lowest possible cost but..."

+1
When I was in school, the father of family with the most screwed up kids (one committed suicide, IIRC) was a child psychologist. The goofy bastard tried to run me over once.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 18:32:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Hey, you can't fault him for that. I'd have tried to run you over too. :)
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:01:27 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

You do act a lot like a child psychologist nutter. I bet your kids are some messed up, too.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:07:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It was a joke. Miserable sense of humour you have.

Raising kids is certainly different but the children themselves aren't. When I see kids running around a restaurant cutting up (putting the condiment containers in their mouth, and worse), that's all on the parents. "Society" has nothing to do with it.

Well, so to speak. ;-) ...but, yes, you're absolutely correct, here. You have the left, who think this a marvy idea. Children aren't allowed to be innocent, anymore.