the router bit bearing saga

just a quick one about the 1-1/4-inch 1/4-inch shank bit flush trim bit with top and bottom bearings that gets unruly at full revs.
took off the end bearing and allen screw rev'd up to 23,000rpm and no problem
with bearing back on all hell breaks loose
my guess is that the ball-bearings are piling up on one side and cause things to get eccentric
I may try some bearing swapping if I'm really bored
On 2/20/15 9:25 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I sure wish you'd discover punctuation.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Reminds me of the tales of Archy and Mehitabel.
--
 GW Ross

 My wife has a slight impediment in

Hey, he's got a period, a comma, and a 'postrophe in there. How many more punctuation do you want?
John
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-5, John McCoy wrote:

A teacher asked his students to punctuate this sentence:
"Woman without her man is nothing."
The men all wrote, "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
The women all wrote, "Woman! Without her, man is nothing!"
"Electric Comet" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- So replace the bearing.
Lew
On 2/20/2015 2:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Get new bearings at the Auto Store. They have them or can order from their supplier. We used FAGG in Disk Drives. Long lasting. Sealed.
Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------- "Martin Eastburn" wrote:

-------------------------------------- It's a renewal part item for anybody selling router bits.
I picked up one at Harbor Freight.
You get two brg, screw and bushing as a kit.
Outa stock? Buy a complete bit for $5 and throw away the cutter.
Lew

Interesting. Sounds like a bad bearing. It could also be that the hole in the bearing is larger than the screw (i.e. it's not the right bearing for that bit) which is allowing the bearing to shimmy around.
It could also be that the hole for the screw is not co-axial with the bit, forcing the bearing to be off- center.
John
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:12:47 +0000 (UTC)

visual inspection dont reveal anything will clean the bearing and apply some light oil may be a crappy bearing or simply wrong one for this application
there should be no spacing between ball-bearings or it should have a bearing race or something to keep them from moving outward and/or together
not sure the make it has yellow paint
On 2/20/2015 5:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

VIPER if I remember correct.A BORG item years ago.
--
Jeff

On 2/20/2015 3:12 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Take the bearing off and screw back on the screw. See if it runs true.
Martin
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:55:16 -0600

no doesn't run true, no difference wrong bearing for the application