The perfect shop - what would you include

Page 2 of 3

Rob,I built my shop 3 years ago. There is not much I would do different if I had to do it again.The shop is 20x30 ( code restrictions prevented me from making it larger) with a wood floor over a crawlspace. 8-0 ceilings with a 10" pitch roof gives me a large loft area for storage.Plenty of outlets along walls, one overhead at bench, one 220 volt floor receptacle for tablesaw, one 120 volt floor recptacle for jointer. I used engineered joists and advantec floor sheathing. Walls are sheathed inside and outside with OSB, floors and walls insulated. Nine windows and double doors downstairs, two windows in the loft.The only thing that I regretted was the pulldown stairs to the loft. The stairs are too narrow and unsafe if carrying material. I eventually took them out, rebuilt the opening and the stairs for a 3-0 set of heavyduty stairs that fold up like the original. Good luck with your new shop, Mike
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Right now the plan is to have it a slab and 10' ceilings. I really want a wood floor - I was thinking of just putting down some 2x4 overlaid w/ ply. I think that should work ok. The DC ductwork will be run on the ceiling. and I figure w/ 2x4 Im only losing about 4" of headroom. Plus it will let me run outlets to where I need them.
I really like the idea of the 4plugs @ 6' + the 240. I think im going to do that.
Lights is going to be the major thing. Im thinking about 2 rows of 8' or 4 rows of 4' lights - not really sure yet.
The plans right now call for 2 windows in the front w/ transoms running along the rest of the shop at just below ceiling level. Im actually thinking about adding a few solor tubes as well. (My dad has a few in his house - and they really work well)
Alot is going to have todo w/ the cost to get the thing up. I have 4 builders bidding on it - so hopefully should have prices by next week. My plan is to have the build it and stub out the electrical and plumming. I plan on doing all the interior myself.
Thanks again for the suggestions. (Keep them comming)
Rob

Rob V wrote:

Missed the original post, what are the perimeter measurements?
Scott
up later, the damage remains.

We saved a ton of money on my garage/shop by having the electrician wire the service and one outlet and one light circuit. I'm doing all the rest. Partly because it costs a fortune to have them do it and partly because I want to be able to fiddle around and change things to suit me. It is gradually taking shape, it has been over a year now since the ground breaking and I should be able to start moving tools in before spring. <sigh>
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I let this ferment a bit - its more of a shop layout than a what to include list. It suits me....and how did the bids turn out?
if'n I get my druthers........ Ever changing but soon, with a new house:
About 18x24 enclosed max. Concrete slab floors - dead flat & level - really irritating to have a bench wobble or a piece of equipment on a mobile base hang up while moving. And it is needed for projects to be reliably assembled on the floor. Floor mats where usable. Across the 18 ft south end (south/north etc. for labeling purposes) one or two roll-up doors and a 12 ft lean-to w/concrete floor - I figure I have maybe three small boats in me and will build them under the lean-to. I'm still working on a handy way to enclose the lean-to in easy to move plastic for winter days to keep out the cold or screen for summer evenings to keep out the mosquitoes. Rolling panels I suspect. My sawdust/chip generating power tools are on mobile bases so the roll-ups on that end will allow me extra feed space when needed and a clear path to the outside for me to use one of my most important shop tools - my leafblower. A small lean-to on the west side of the building will serve to air dry wood. The 24 ft. west wall will be finished to hang tools, clamps & oft needed stuff. At the center of the north end will be a 6 x 6 ft. assembly & general work table. In my HS shop class we had several square work tables that accommodated 4 knuckleheaded teens wonderfully and I think I could use at least one. I suffer now from no really good centrally located assembly/puttering around bench. That's essential. The workbench for working with hand planes, the computer & books will be on the northeast side & shelving will be across the north end. Lots of electrical drops from the ceiling. Still trying to sort out an exhaust system.
Lastly I'll need a small cooler to hold the evening's sundowner, a comfortable chair and the best view possible out of the roll-up doors.
Kiyu
Some ideas:
A bench area with lots of north light, maybe even a drafting table. A little loading dock the same height as your utility trailer bed. Interior walls faced with shiplap pine or similar, so you can hang tools, wood, etc. anywhere. An exhaust fan with self-operating louvers. A way to shut off and lock off ALL electric power except the heat/AC and overhead lights. An separate underground conduit to the house for telephone, and big enough to add cable TV, computer network cabling, etc. in the future. Overhanging eaves for drying wood outside. A small wood stove.

The size is going to be 28x30 (was originally 28x25) The total size of the new building is going to b 28x43 - but 13 of that has to go for my boat.

On 5 Dec 2003 12:38:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@control-tech.com (Charles Erskine) wrote:

Excellent ideas. I planned for the wood stove and wired for an exhaust fan (but don't have one yet). The conduit for phone etc. is something I'm going to wish I had done. Hard to change now because it is a concrete slab floor. The power cable conduit is large enough, but I doubt that cat5-e will work in with the main power feed. I plan to do part of my walls with plywood blows to give the "hang anywhere" capability. On the rest I'm going to make continuous cleats as shown in one of the recent WW magazines. I'm getting cabinets by scrounging old kitchen cabs from remodel jobs. It pays to have friends in the trade!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Not to worry about cat 5e, just go either fiber in the electric conduit, or wireless! I'm running fiber with a digi box on both ends going to a 24 port hub in the house and a 16 port in the garage. Cat 5 to the shop.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman
Rob V wrote:

Built-in air filtration so I don't have to have several of these hanging around the shop. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G5955
Squirrel cage fan larger than necessary running slower to reduce noise, easy to change filters, easy to clean ducting.
-- Mark
Mark, Do you have a squirrel cage setup? Or do you have the regular air filtration?
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman
Jerry Gilreath wrote:

Both. I have a 4'x8' sanding table that uses a squirrel cage fan I got for free from the guys who service our furnace and AC. It works very well. If there's a lot of dust in the air about 2 to 3 minutes of the sanding table running cleans the air of my single car garage shop. I also have a filtered box fan hanging from the ceiling.
Since this is a "dream shop" thread I though I'd mention quieter/better air filtration than I have now. My dream shop will have pristine air. ;-) There is family history of respitory problems in old age so not breathing too much dust is a good thing for me.
I've been in two custom houses that had great air movement without a lot of noise. The 2nd house used a huge fan (think roof of an apartment building) running at about half the normal RPMs. Even up close it was almost silent. With proper ducting it would keep the air in a 6 car garage shop clean.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Yurg! Make that a 2'x4' sanding table. It would be fun to have the space for a 4'x8' sanding/assembly table.
-- Mark
I was getting ready to say, damn, 4x8 sanding table???? Sounds like you got the setup going on! Reason I was asking, I was thinking along the same lines of using an old furnace fan for doing the same thing. Where you got it going to? Outside? What did you use for piping and such? Maybe combing your setup and my idea, I could incorporate it into my little ole shop. I don't have much head room, so hanging a factory made one is outta the question. Guess I could loose some bench space, but man, it's at a premium.
--
This space for rent.
Jerry The Phoneman
Jerry Gilreath wrote:

It's a standalone, roll around unit based on an old furnace fan. I'll try to put some pictures in abpw.
-- Mark
A toilet. Saves romping through the house leaving a trail of dust.

Frank K. writes:

Another joy of country life...slide one door open a bit and save all that plumbing work.
Charlie Self
"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower
Charlie Self wrote:

Country life hell. It's my property. I'll piss anywhere I want to. Keeps the varmints down.
(Of course, I have to avoid being *seen* doing this...)
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

One problem with desert dwelling, even if you are in the country, there's not a lot of cover for privacy.
Rob V wrote:

I'm sorry that was you who had the misfortune to see my lily white, hairy ass that night. :)
(Saying this without quoting the context from my previous post ought to raise some eyebrows.)