The Opposite Of UHMW?

Page 1 of 3
Here's the application. I have a jig that needs to sit on a work top. I don't want to clamp it down (slight over kill for the application) but I also don't want it to freely slide about.
The first candidate is the tape 3M sells for stair treads. The trouble is that it's abrasive and the work top is plastic laminate (will scratch up/look skanky quick).
So, what I'm looking for is a rubberized peel and stick tape or film. Think of the handles you find on some tools. It's rubbery and offers some *stickiness*. That's the stuff though the stickier the better. Size matters a wee bit but I could as easily use strips in lieu of full sheets. I would like it to be fairly thin (1/16" to 1/8") and not compress greatly under a load.
So, what are my options? Any chance of finding it locally (hardware store) or a place like McMaster-Carr? I would of course prefer local over ordering.
I know what I want, just don't know what it's called/what to ask for.
Thanking you in advance for your help but realizing this doesn't relieve me of a proper thanks at the end.
UA100
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com and search for "rubber and foam adhesive-backed".
Regarding tool wrap, you can get this at McMaster (search "Strip-Wrap Grips") but don't recommend it here.
Why not screw on some soft rubber feet? You can also find an assortment of these at McMaster, or probably at the local hardware strore.
Dave

sanding or routing to keep the work from sliding around. Looks like it would work, maybe. It just lays in place, no adhesive.

Keeter: Second the motion. You can also buy it in sheets for use as rug pads (see Drexel). It loses stickiness over time, but one sheet cut into strips will give you a few decades worth of use . I have a couple of 1/16 rubber mats used in offset printing. They're not sticky, but very stable and might give you just enough friction for the app. Ping me if this sounds workable.
Bob

The last two words.
UA100
Uni,
Don't know how big the base of your jig is, but what about dipping it in a shallow pan of the rubber coat that some folks use to coat the handles of their tools? Here's one I found, got to be many more. Course, this may be overkill for your application as well....
http://www.heavydutystore.com/db/customer/home.php?catu7
Be well, work wood,
Joe

They also sell that kind of stuff in a spray can.
You can buy neoprene in sheets. This stuff is what the router mats are made from. It is a soft rubber with tack. max

I like this. It would work for some of my applications.
In the past I'd always seen these "tool dips" in magazine ads and I wondered about the cheese factor. Being this is Loctite brand...
UA100, who does have a brand loyalty to Loctite...
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Plastidip is good.
<<Plastidip is good.>>
Yes, it works as advertised. I wrecked one of the leveling feet on my bandsaw's mobile base and the replacement HTC sent me was the wrong size. Rather than wait for another one, I went to the hardware store but the only correctly sized leveling feet I could find were all metal, not plastic covered like the original. So I got a can of Plastidip and dipped the metal part several times (with a few hours of drying time between each dipping). It worked just fine.
Lee

then I won't suggest trying some of the HF stuff to see if it works on your jig.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

3M spray adhesive from your Scary Sharp (TM) kit,
The ultra-thin double-sided tape (not the foam based) used by graphic artists (the dinosaur, pre-computer types),
Multiple suction cups and a little water. Fasten the cups to the bottom of the fixture, wet the cups and the surface, push down,
Rubber cement used in moderation. It will peel off the laminate ... and if you put a piece of lamnate on the bottom of your jig you shouldn't have removal issues,
Those 3M removable hooks with the pull-tab adhesive release. They come with extra adhesive strips,
That clear, semi-tacky snot some printers use to hold those mass-mailing things together. Your local print shop may know what it is and may be able to give you a small stash from their industrial-sized container,
Shellac. Dab a puddle, place fixture on puddle, let dry. Removal requires an application of alcohol. Again, laminate on the bottom of the fixture may well ease cleanup.
Hope this helps, and Happy New Year,
Rick

I need it to PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) one side only. The other side isn't sticky in the glue sense of the word but sticky as in non-skid.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

High Friction Tape. A mail order source: <http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page2184&category=1,110,43466>
Probably wrong currency and wrapped.
Works wonderfully.
Paul Kierstead wrote:

That's it Paul, but pricy (sorry Rob).

Even with the exchange rate...

sigh...
I suppose I better go buy the crow bar first, huh?
UA100

These work well on wallets....
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&page2014&category1,43456,43399
:)
Cheers -
Rob
Robin Lee wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageG883&category=1,43456,43399&ccurrency=2&SID=http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageG883&category=1,43456,43399&ccurrency=2&SIDIt should be able to grab both corners to break it lose from the pocket. Joe
If the Canuck tape is too pricey - the local Borg sells PSA (one side) non-skid pads. They come in strips, circles, etc. See if they're 'sticky' enough. It's about 1/16" or so thick, you'll have to determine if it's too resiliant for your application...
JeffB
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Rust-Oleum sells a textured rubber coating that you spray on, it comes in the typical spray paint can. I got mine at a Dollar Store. Specifically marked to spray on garden tool handles, hand tools, step ladder steps. Flexible and Waterproof