The new Kreg K3 Jig

Well I got a new K3 pocket hole jig for my birthday about 3 weeks ago. I have had the old original aluminum Kreg jig for several years. I wanted versatility for drilling to the center edge of the stock which the old one would not do on wood other than that which was 3/4" thick. Anyway it works great and the new front clamp handle as many feared is not in the way. Actually I tend to stand to one side of the lever and feel that to comfortably operate a drill you need to stand away from the jig enough that the handle is not a problem. Additionally the front handle speeds production for me. I can now continue to hold the drill while easily lifting the clamp lever with the same hand, slide the board over with my other hand and reclamp the jig. Putting the drill down and reaching over the old rear clamp lever jig to unclamp got old very quick.

[snipperized to make room for belated happy birthday wish.]
I've been looking at that Kreg K3.
I bought and used and gave away a Porter cable 550 pocket cutter (all within a week or so) and have been using the ol' style aluminum one. I don't use it that often, but I would maybe if I had a better one.
(There should be a class-action suit about that 550 pocket cutter...what a dangerous, useless piece of crap that turned out to be. Looked good on paper though. The guy I gave it to has it neatly parked beside the PC profile sander.)
The variable thickness versatility makes the K3 attractive.
I think I'll give it a try.
Rob
I bought last week and have found it to be excellent. It's not replacing anything similar in my shop, so I can't compare to other similar models or whatever, but it seems well thought out, the instructions are really well written, and it includes everything you could want it to come with. They even detail how to set it up for semi-permanent use in a shop, not something hard to figure out but nice that they included some tips for you.
Andrew

Thank you

That is what I was looking for also. The K2 IIRC has variable thickness also but is not as slick of a set up as the KE set up. I really like the handle being up front.

Buddy of mine loaned me his PC552 last week, to do some face frames. Whatever your problem with the 550 was seemed not to have carried over.
If I had room, and a business need, I'd have made him an offer on the machine.
Patriarch

Completely different machine. See:
http://www.sellinitall.com/images/pocket%20cutter%203.JPG

So would I. The 552 is a very good unit and doing a great job for some acquaintances of mine. (They're face-framer-style-cabinet dudes.)