The importance of testing on scrap

I'm looking for options. While trying to figure out a way to clamp this carcase, I tried one way that sure won't work. Hot melt glued-on cleats and today's veneered cherry plywood don't mix very well at all. I'm betting it's the ply just under the veneer, some sort of MDF, it appears. Initial testing with double-sided taped cleats shows some promise, and any other ideas are welcomed. This is a 45 degree join on a corner cabinet base unit. More pics at

tom

RayV

Friesen suggested will work for the top of the carcase. However, there are two more areas further down the case which'll need clamping somehow. Maybe some type of notched stand to set the case onto when drying will allow me to use that method at the bottom also. Then maybe the "tourniclamp" for the center area. This is the lower case of a two- piece corner cabinet, the smaller of the two, no less. Looking forward to the big one. Tom

Reply to
tom

What about just clamping a 2x4 to each panel near the joint. You might then be able to clamp across the 2x4s

Reply to
RayV

Hey, that might work! Rip a "v" notch along two 2x4s, clamp to the sides top and bottom. Might not be too ungainly when I ask the wife to help me move it to the side! Thanks, will try! Tom

Reply to
tom

Lower case glued up, and nobody called on the phone during the process. Wierd. Tom

Reply to
tom