The Bait

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 1:52:02 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

I've never done a panel glue-up. And I've seen various solutions to the pro blem he mentions. But my first reaction to his "invention" is this: assumin g for a second that the bars of his clamps do a good job as "cauls", couldn 't he simply have alternated the clamps up and down, having the bars from B OTH directions contact the panel? The only difference would be that the upp er and lower "cauls" would be offset horizontally by the thickness of a cla mp face.

Yes he could have inverted and placed clamps on both sides. His mistake and the problem he is trying to solve is overcome by simple tightening top and bottom bar clamps evenly. Both top and bottom clamps alternatively vs. one side and then the other.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Just do it the way he showed at the beginning with two clamps under and two clamps above and then use wedges wherever needed to apply pressure and you should get the same result he does with his fancy modification.
On 1/10/2016 7:15 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

You don't need wedges. Simply use clamps on top and bottom and then alternatively and gradually tighten them up.

That's their "One Time Tool" marketing shtick. I have a number of them. Some are very useful. They're all expensive, though.