Thanks for answering shop heating question

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my question about heating a garage workshop. Based on the responses I have decided to go with a vented propane gas heater. I looked at the dawg web site, thanks, and I also called my heating oil vendor, they do propane as well, and they are coming out to give me a quote. There's no natural gas here in Maine. Than I'll decide. One way or the other I will have heat this winter.

On another note, is there a moderated woodworking group? After wading through tons of sexual trash not to mention political tirades I think I would really prefer a moderated group.

Tahks again

George in Maine snipped-for-privacy@ctel.net

Reply to
George J. Dekelbaum

George, if you set up a single filter in your newreader containing about a dozen swear words or connotations, you can filter out better than 95% of the garbage.

Reply to
Upscale

Learn to use block sender and ignore threads. I see very little trash on this group as I have 95% filtered out. If some garbage slips through, I just add to the filters. There is too much good info here to just give it all up. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Me too. :) I got a couple of nifty electric heaters. I had a 1500W heater, but it wasn't good for more than warming my hands. I figured they were all worthless like that.

Well, SWMBO came home with a pair of ceramic, thermostatically-controlled heaters with freeze protection for $30, so I decided to plug the stupid things in and prove to her what a waste of money they were before ordering her to take them back. After half an hour running one heater at full throttle on a 38 degree day, my shop was 85 degrees near the workbench, and

65 degrees in the cold corner.

I guess I don't have to worry about no heat this winter! Just worry about throwing all that money away to heat the outdoors. I can't believe I'm actually so addicted to my shop that I'm paying money to heat a completely uninsulated shed with gigantic gaps all over the place.

I am though. I even set one of them to run and keep my glue from freezing, and that's just lazy.

The electric company's gonna love me this year, but I just can't get into any of my usual winter hobbies. I'm not willing to give up my shop. I guess the hook is well-planted this time.

Reply to
Silvan

On a lark - I picked up a $3.00 Heat Lamp from Wal-Mart (the clear kind, not the red ones). Stuck it in the articulated lamp fixture I have over the bench. It's nice! Keeps about a 3' diameter circle warm.

Reply to
mttt

Silvan,

I fully understand you need to stay on the thrifty side, but a couple of cans of "touch and foam", an arrow stapler and some polyethylene sheeting would make your shed a lot more air tight. Total cost shouldn't be more than $20 or so. Should easily pay for itself on the electric bill.

BTW, on the Touch and Foam, do NOT buy the water based variety, and be careful with the other, it sticks to everything. If I remember correctly, it is polyurethane, just like the one-part poly glues.

A geek friend of mine ranks the stuff right up there with duct tape. He even set a marble slab, for a toilet, over an old hardwood floor with the stuff. Hasn't failed in 8 years.

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos