Thanks, Dad

Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine but I didn't sleep last night.

I just came back from the site to see what happened. If anyone out there that is in residential construction trade can attest, fall arresters are not highly regarded as the most comfortable things to wear but can save lives. I became more concerned last year after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He didn't like them. In fact after 44 years in construction, he felt that it was a hindrance. I asked him why, but all he could say is "I know my way around a roof".

Well until yesterday. He slipped on the scaffolding and fell 30 feet. I visited with the ambulance workers since I know one of them that was there. In all estimation, he was dead when he hit the ground.

Why am I writing this. Because he was like many others out there. He thought that he was safe with just his skills. And I urge anyone that thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. He had 44 years experience and in one second it is all gone. He was going to retire this year as the demand for housing has dropped and there was no one interested in taking over his company.

Sadly I will never get to show him my first completely designed and built pieces of furniture. I just finished them 2 weeks ago. I always felt that he didn't think I was ever capable of it but I just was never interested in home building. He gave up on trying to teach me. These pieces were to show him that I was paying attention. I did learn a skill....

Thanks, Dad

Allen

Reply to
allen476

I am very sorry for your loss. My mother passed away last year. I found out while I was out in the field on my job. I understand what you're going through. Hopefully your father didn't suffer and passed quickly. Thanks for sharing the safety information so that perhaps others can benefit from this tragedy. Hold on to your fond memories as they will help to see you through some trying times.

Reply to
dale martin

My condolences....

baslisk

Reply to
basilisk

Many people say: "I know how you must feel." Well, I don't Both my parents are still alive at 88 years old. I have a feeling I will know what you're feeling all too soon. Keep the good memories, the bad ones are a waste of time.

My condolences.

Reply to
Robatoy

[...]>

Sorry for your loss.

Your signature came as kind of a surprise to me: one of my sons is named Allen, too.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Our thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family.

Reply to
Swingman

allen476 wrote in news:ca9c5360-cd15-4451-94d7- snipped-for-privacy@q6g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

My most heartfelt condolences. Apparently it was mercifully fast. Take consolation in your best memories, and cherish them. Sharing those memories is good, as you found out.

Translated from the Dutch: Shared joy is twice the joy Shared sorrow is half the sorrow.

Reply to
Han

Thanks for sharing Allen. I cannot agree more, you simply cannot be carful enough.

Have faith that he is seeing your work now and will be proud.

It is tough loosing a parent, I lost my mother last night too.

Reply to
Leon

My condolences to you *both.*

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Our condolences to you and your family, Leon.

Reply to
Swingman

----------------------------------------- I lost my father very suddenly when I was 21.

Hard as it is for those of us, like yourself, left behind, at least your dad went quickly and apparently didn't suffer.

Time will be your friend.

My condolences.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------ From your previous posts, it would appear your mother had a good run, but that doesn't make it any easier.

My condolences.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ouch. So sorry to hear that, Leon.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm sorry to hear that. I know very much how you feel, I didn't get into woodworking until after my father's death and thus could never demonstrate to him that I'd retained at least a bit of what he tried to teach me. He was one of those guys who could build or fix anything regardless of what it was made of, I wish I had his expertise with electronics in addition to woodworking, plumbing, metalwork and so on--no contractor ever made a dime off my dad's house.

Remember that everything you loved about your dad lives on in your heart, and whenever you have a moral decision to make all you have to do is ask yourself what he would have done.

Reply to
DGDevin

I wish to extend my condolences to both of you and your families.

Peace, Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's really not "nice" to say it - but with alzheimers already diagnosed, the fast end will likely be easier to take, for everyone involved, than a long, lingering deterioration, with Dad still being "there", but not quite really being either "dad" OR "there".

Just too bad it had to happen, just like it's too bad he had to suffer from Alzheimers..

Reply to
clare

Take comfort from who he was and what he did.

Reply to
LDosser

Pass on the best of her to others.

Reply to
LDosser

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:04:04 -0800 (PST), the infamous allen476 scrawled the following:

I'm sorry for your loss, Allen.

It's good that you got to live and train with him. Keep those good memories. My dad was a hack woodworker, but we had fun. He passed 8 years ago.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Allen, my condolences for your loss. I hope your Dad went doing what he wanted to do with his life.

I hope it also reinforces for those of us out in the field how important that safety equipment really is for us all. Not that it would have made any difference for him, but I appreciate you bringing that up with posting.

Leon old salt, I couldn't be more sorry. I hope she went quietly and gently, with a smile in her heart. Like Rob said, you think you know, but you don't. I am sad for your loss, but I know she is in a better place now.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41