Thanks, Dad

Page 1 of 2
Well last night was a rough night. My inspiration for getting in to woodworking was tragically killed yesterday in a construction accident. I got the news just before supper and at the time I was fine but I didn't sleep last night.
I just came back from the site to see what happened. If anyone out there that is in residential construction trade can attest, fall arresters are not highly regarded as the most comfortable things to wear but can save lives. I became more concerned last year after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He didn't like them. In fact after 44 years in construction, he felt that it was a hindrance. I asked him why, but all he could say is "I know my way around a roof".
Well until yesterday. He slipped on the scaffolding and fell 30 feet. I visited with the ambulance workers since I know one of them that was there. In all estimation, he was dead when he hit the ground.
Why am I writing this. Because he was like many others out there. He thought that he was safe with just his skills. And I urge anyone that thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. He had 44 years experience and in one second it is all gone. He was going to retire this year as the demand for housing has dropped and there was no one interested in taking over his company.
Sadly I will never get to show him my first completely designed and built pieces of furniture. I just finished them 2 weeks ago. I always felt that he didn't think I was ever capable of it but I just was never interested in home building. He gave up on trying to teach me. These pieces were to show him that I was paying attention. I did learn a skill....
Thanks, Dad
Allen

I am very sorry for your loss. My mother passed away last year. I found out while I was out in the field on my job. I understand what you're going through. Hopefully your father didn't suffer and passed quickly. Thanks for sharing the safety information so that perhaps others can benefit from this tragedy. Hold on to your fond memories as they will help to see you through some trying times.

My condolences....
baslisk

Many people say: "I know how you must feel." Well, I don't Both my parents are still alive at 88 years old. I have a feeling I will know what you're feeling all too soon. Keep the good memories, the bad ones are a waste of time.
My condolences.

Sorry for your loss.
Your signature came as kind of a surprise to me: one of my sons is named Allen, too.
On 1/27/2010 10:04 AM, allen476 wrote:

Our thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

My most heartfelt condolences. Apparently it was mercifully fast. Take consolation in your best memories, and cherish them. Sharing those memories is good, as you found out.
Translated from the Dutch: Shared joy is twice the joy Shared sorrow is half the sorrow.
--
Best regards
Han

It's really not "nice" to say it - but with alzheimers already diagnosed, the fast end will likely be easier to take, for everyone involved, than a long, lingering deterioration, with Dad still being "there", but not quite really being either "dad" OR "there".
Just too bad it had to happen, just like it's too bad he had to suffer from Alzheimers..
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:31t1m5p912g9cgfus3fvsmkqequa5sqo2n@ 4ax.com:

I think it is nice not to have to suffer from mental disintegration. I certainly didn't like it when Dad was sitting in the hospital chair chewing newspaper, becaue "it is the antidote to the posin the Germans are giving me".

We need to be clearminded (= not too sentimetal, but almost like ruthless) to think of "nice" ways to quit this life. These things are far from easy, and there are always questions of in hindsight I/we could have done differently.
DAMHIKT.
In the aggregate, it is best to do a lot of talking amongst the family members and making decisions that are well thought out, not at the spur of the moment, but agreed upon in as much consensus as possible. The welfare (mental as well as physical) of the affected family member is what should count.
(I had minor surgery and am taking pain medications, so please excuse ramblings that you might not agree with)
--
Best regards
Han

My condolences to you *both.*
On 1/27/2010 4:56 PM, Leon wrote:

Our condolences to you and your family, Leon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Leon" wrote:

From your previous posts, it would appear your mother had a good run, but that doesn't make it any easier.
My condolences.
Lew

Ouch. So sorry to hear that, Leon.

Pass on the best of her to others.

Also my condolences, Leon. Please be assured of the compassion we all feel.
--
Best regards
Han

Man... I missed that during my last cursory glance at the posts here. My condolences, to you and yours. The end also ends the suffering. She's in a better place.
Rob
Leon wrote:

So sorry to hear that Leon. Condolences to you and your family

Rob Leatham

My condolences to you Leon and also for Allen, tis a sad thing indeed.
Rgds Phil.
"allen476" wrote:

I lost my father very suddenly when I was 21.
Hard as it is for those of us, like yourself, left behind, at least your dad went quickly and apparently didn't suffer.
Time will be your friend.
My condolences.
Lew