Thank you all very much.

Thank you for the tips on making my site more user friendly. I've done most of the changes you suggested.... anyone got any more?

Check out muckleshed.com.

Barry

Reply to
barry

Sure - why is all the text in an image? It doesn't all fit in my browser window. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Not sure, i'll look into it...

Barry

Reply to
barry

Hi Barry, nearly every time I try to go to your site I get this message: Bandwidth Limit Exceeded The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at

Port 80

Reply to
Eddie

Oh! Does anyone know what that means?

Barry.

Reply to
barry

It means your ISP has a limit on the bandwidth used by people accessing your account. ISP's usually do this to prevent a commercial operation from trying to open a personal account and then use it for running their business.

Reply to
Nova

thank you, how do I fix it then? Email my ISP?

Barry

Reply to
barry

" snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Don't post links on Usenet?

Usually, after a short (as in a day) time it will reset and you'll be able to access it again.

The other thing you can do is reduce the bandwidth your page needs on each load. Here's a short list of things you can do:

  1. Reduce the size and quality of the images (but not so much they're difficult to see. Sometimes you can get away with a small color depth change with almost not visable difference.)
  2. Use thumbnails rather than large images. Link them to the large version of the image so if the user clicks on the image he's rewarded with the large version. If he's not interested, you only need 10k instead of 100k.
  3. Use text rather than images. Your logo should be an image, but don't screen shot a word processing program so the users can read the word document.
  4. Make sure the graphics that are part of your page layout are requested to be cached. This helps you out by not loading the images on each page. It can help the user out by not making him wait for the images to load again.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Pay them more money to upgrade your account for more bandwidth. Or use a different ISP.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Puckdropper, you're a star. I'll work on that this weekend. Thank you very much for the advice.

Barry

Reply to
barry

" snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: