technique for using step drills?

Hi,

I am interested in trying confirmat screws for a project I'm working on. I went ahead and picked up some 7mm screws and a step pilot Drill bit.

My question is, is there any techniques that people use to drill the pilot holes and keep it straight? I'm using 3/4" particle board melamine and want to make sure the holes are centered properly for the butt joints to hold right.

Thanks! Winthrop

Reply to
W CHAN

Practice, practice, and practice.

To hold the drill for the relatively long holes these require, do you hold the hand drill with your index finger parallel to the axis of the drill, and middle finger handling the power trigger? This allows more control over the drill as it lowers the center of gravity of the drill with respect to your wrist, and brings it closer to being along the center line of your forearm.

Use a set square (or fixed shop made fixture) to mark out the center line of the board that houses the bulk of the screw. In the case of the sheet stock you mentioned, you would set it to 3/8".

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust