Tansu Hardware

In a recent thread,_Tansu Joinery_ (Layne et.al.) it was suggested that Lee Valley had an offering of 'good, cheap tansu hardware.' Although the hardware is certainly cheap(price wise) it looks too manufactured for my taste, IMHO. If you have the time and simple tools you can make your own. Presently, I'm making some tansu-like hardware from salvaged sheet metal(24 to 18 gaugesteel sheet) using a jewelers saw and appropriate blades. Sure, it takes time but it will give my stuff a handmade appearance, much like handcut dovetails. The link below has a picture of an escutcheon that I'm cutting from 18 gauge steel that once was a computer back panel I dug out of a trash can. I'll polish it up and attach with some rose headed copper nails...should look good.
http://home.mchsi.com/~llhote/escutcheon.jpg
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

Can tansu hardware be made from steel, or does it need to be iron ?
I use iron for mine, but it's damned hard work to find. Steel just doesn't look right IMHO, I can't get the right sort of patina on it.

metal(24
> Can tansu hardware be made from steel, or does it need to be iron ?

Strictly speaking, I suppose the stuff I use is sheet iron. For me, anyhow, the difference between iron and steel is like the difference between a Catholic and a Christian.
Larry