Tambour Doors

I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used "store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional reinforcement to prevent future problems?

supply stores...mjh

As Mike as said, painting canvas works fine for tambour doors and is easily available. I wouldn't worry about reinforcing the ones you have until if and when the original cloth starts to wear out. Fix it then.
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 06:48:24 -0400, the opaque "Upscale"

The best way to extend mechanical devices is to clean, lube, and maintain the guide surfaces. People force them when they stick. That's what usually causes premature failure.
- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
John wrote:

I wonder if you could glue some upholstery-type vinyl (threaded side to the canvas) that would add some strength and longevity. Now that you've got me thinking about it, why not use vinyl in the first place? That naugahyde stuff last a billion years, even though innocent naugas have to be schlaughtered to get the hides.
Just a bit of brainstorming.
-Phil Crow
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry, no more brainstorming in Ireland. "Thought-showering" is politically correct, though.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article $319

glue their hides to wooden slats...