Tacklebox

I schlep an oldish Plano box when I go bass fishing but thought to make a wooden box.
I know it ain't practical but that's part of what I like about it.
Were thinkin' that a nicely dovetailed Spanish Cedar box, with cantilevered trays and tucked away specialty boxes in the crans and nookiies would be a fun project.
Wouldn't mind hearing other's thoughts and experiences in this regard.
Wouldn't mind seeing some pix, neither.
I don't think I've ever done a box with any more than one cantilever.
The geometry might be interesting.
Sounds like a job for Poly, though.
(shit - I think I just heard C-Less fall over...)
Tom Watson wrote:

I've been thinking of replacing my wifes sewing box -- which is a similar project -- and it might be a starting point prototype if you really want multi-layer. You must have seen those old fold-out sewing boxes...? Or are you thinking of internal trays? Are you thinking of metal (say brass) for the levers - or all-wood construction?
Her sewing box uses wood strips and screws for the "lever arms" and "pivot points" -- it's kind of tacky as they are all external. I was thinking of figuring out something a little nicer for the mechanics. ...and I just bought a nice piece of Spanish Cedar...
...Assuming you are thinking of internal trays I guess they would have to fold below the rim of the carcase to make the lid and hinge design simple.
If you are not familiar with the sewing kit type of box I could post a picture -- somewhere -- but I am sure you've seen one -- and they are not remarkable in any way.
That idea would make a nice fishing tackle box -- and a nice sewing box.
I will send you my wood and you can cut the dovetails for a small (hopefully) consulting fee. They have to be better than mine. :-)
Poly? Who's she? Your SWMBO?
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Tom Watson wrote:

HEAVY!
Lew
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:44:16 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Hell, Lew, I just got to get it from the truck to the boat!
Tom Watson wrote:

OK, but sometimes that is a long walk.
As I still remember, the best spots were over hill and dale and then the next hill, etc, etc.
Lew
Tom Watson wrote:

I made a walnut flybox, thinking that I would be the envy of all the yuppie scum on the stream (
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/flybox01.jpg ). But in practice, I couldn't bring myself to actually carry it. Besides it being bulky/heavy for its size, I was afraid it might get wet ... or scratched up ... or I'd get fish slime on it ... or ...
FWIW, I used a homemade wiping varnish for it that was made of equal parts spar, turps and BLO.
Chuck Vance (but if you want to make it just for the fun of it, who's to say you shouldn't?)

amphibious tackle boxes could really catch on, ya know.. *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:44:16 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Lime ! (Basswood, if you want to catch bass)
Why poly for a finish ? I'd go with oil, probably a danish oil. Not quite so hard-wearing, but I can more easily refinish it once a year.
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:59:47 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson

"Aw, he's no fun. He fell right over."
Uh,tellyawhat,Tawm. Make 2. Give one a polyurinestaining and give the other 4 coats of wiped-on Waterlox and get back to me in 1 year. I'll bet you like the Waterloxed box better.
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:44:48 -0700, Larry Jaques

OK. But can I sell you the other one?
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:48:28 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson

You should know better than to even THINK that one in jest, Shirley.
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:44:48 -0700, Larry Jaques

You meant this one, right C-Less?
http://64.233.167.104/search?q che:Xj27AxhUYSYJ:www.waterlox.com/media/images/inside/products/ACF5F8.pdf+waterlox+moisture+resistance&hl=en
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:50:10 -0400, the inscrutable Tom Watson

Hell no. I meant Waterlox Original.
Now stop poking me! My ribs are getting sore. ;)
Monday 25 April 2005 07:50 pm:

"Finishes are so clear, you can read the date off of a dime on the bottom of the can."
Heck, I can't read the date off a dime at the top of my desk. Wait 'til my optometrist hears about this!
Boy is he gonna get an earful, too!
Bill