Tablesaw outfeed table

I need to build a outfeed table for my tablesaw, what wood is recommended for the top surface? Would MDF work or what?

Thanks Michael

Reply to
HORNNUMB2

Melamine or any other laminate is a good choice" slippery, easy to clean, cheap.

Reply to
DarylRos

Ditto, mine is melamine. Formica would be tougher, but the melamine has been in use for a year and a half and has only taken minor cosmetic damage. I'm not delicate with it.

I use it as an assemply and finishing space. I wax it every month or two, and glue/finish pops right off with a scraper.

Reply to
Stephen M

Mike, This was covered a little while back. Melamine is fine. You can take a look at mine at:

O.

My woodworking projects at:

the NAIL from e-mail to reply

Reply to
Ed. O.

Ed,

That's the prettiest zero-clearance insert I've ever seen :-)

Reply to
Stephen M

can I use some MDF covered in formica? Thanks Michael

Reply to
HORNNUMB2

No - you must use specified outfeed table material. Its all covered in the FAQ. ;)

Dude - use what ever you want to use. As long as its flat and sticks out behind your tablesaw your good to go.

Reply to
Rob V

Absolutely.

Reply to
Stephen M

I used melamine. Probably lighter, cheaper, and comes in wider pieces.

Reply to
Bob Jones

You mean like this ???

you may.

HORNNUMB2 wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Yes, and get a longer wearing, tougher table top than with the melamine

John

Reply to
John Crea

Melamine is just MDF with a lightweght thermofused later on the top and bottom. Not going to be any lighter than the same size and thickness MDF

John

Reply to
John Crea

I'm not sure where you're finding melamine with an MDF core but you're more than likely to find particleboard being used for the substrate.

Unless it isn't an MDF core.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I used a double layer of 3/4" MDF covered with formica, edged with ash.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I think that typically it is more like particle board than MDF. I have never seen any melamine that is equivalent in density to MDF. Maybe it exists somewhere...

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

I used melamine on mine.

Reply to
KYHighlander

i often get MDF core melamine-

but only in the 1/4" thickness.

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I use my 36"x24" router table. I built the router table on wheels with an easily removable fence. The table top sits about 1/2" lower than the saw. I can cut long pieces and large pieces. Works like a charm.

Reply to
Bob Lewis

Why? as a theft deterrent? That is potential theves would get a hernia an give up.

Reply to
Stephen M

I use basically the same. A double layer of M3/4" MDF. Why ?

- Added structural stability. If I am putting a track (miter or t-slot) into the top, then I have only 3/16 to 1/4" of material at the bottom of the board. This could be potentially across the length (or depth or both)of the piece. Knowing that in a spanned structure, the bottom of the span is in tension, and thus the top could deflect,this slot area then becomes the area of greatest potential failure. And yes I know that an aluminum track will help prevent this, but I do not want to test that.

- Give mass to the top. This allows the top to help stabilize the work area. Of course this also means that when it gets moving it has more mass for momentum.

- The 'Tim the tool man" syndrome. Bigger and heavier is better! ARGGG! ARGGG! ARGGG!

- Longevity Do it once,and overdesign by at least 50%. Look at all the old churches in Europe. They took 600 years to build, but 700 years later they are still standing. I want my work tops to last at least 40 years, because I do not want to have to build a new one when I am 70.

Just my humble, but annoying opinion !

Jerry

Stephen M wrote:

Reply to