table saw wax?

Page 1 of 3
Hello,
I bought a new dewalt table saw and the instructions say to clean table surface with mineral spirits and then apply paste wax. I went to home depot and lowes but no one knew what i was talking about. Is it like surfboard wax (bar) or is it in a tube? Where can I get some?
Thanks for your help....mitch
I have two products which prevent cast iron from rusting.
a) Boeshield 9. This is a spray. Available at real woodoworking/tool stores. I bought some recently from www.woodpeck.com b) Slippit. This is like a white silicon wax-substitute. This is wiped on and left to dry. I would do a search for this. I bought this can at a woodworking show.
Both work well.
Dave Paine.

You can order SLIPIT from Grizzly at around $10 a can (which will last a long, long time). It is also a good surface lubricant. Slipit is actually a silicon free product so it does not put a silicon residue on your wood. You just brush it on, let it set for a few moments and wipe the surface dry (kinda gooey but it cleans off quite well).
It also comes in spray but the grizzly rep said the past has better staying power.
RonB

Note that SLIP IT company makes to lines of lubricants - one WITH silicone and one WITHOUT silicone - something to be aware of if its purchased from a general supplier.
www.slipit.com
Bob
It's a good thing I don't have a dirty mind, because this post is just filled with Freudian imagery. Don't even get me started on Ron's domain address.
RonB wrote:

I bought a can of Johnson's Paste wax at the Food Lion (local grocery store in Raleigh) a few years ago. I got a bottle of Boeshield 9 at a wood working show this year, and have used it on my Bandsaw. There was an article in one of the wood magazines showing a comparison. Good Luck Frank
Tyke wrote:

items4sale responds:

Food Lion is so local it's owned by a company in Belgium.
Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker

And I think I m'member St. Soozan telling me they were second in line only to Kroger in largness.
UA100, missing his Dierberg's and Schnucks...
I don't know about Dierberg's, Schnucks, or Food Lion.
However, when I was a 'traveling man' I would pass any number of 'Piggly Wiggly stores. My wife thought I was making it up - until there was a national news item about a food recall {or something}in the southern states . . .
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {NEVER make fun of where someone lives . . . it always seems to come back and bite you in the . . .}
SNIP

Sure hope they improved their products, in Lewisville, Tx. about 1992, they were mislabeling meat. In two weeks the parking lot was empty, not sure if they closed, I moved about that time
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Wasn't that the store they looted in "Animal House"?

We had a bunch of nice big Food Lyons pop up here in Houston 4 or 5 year ago. It was discovered that they were doctoring the meat to make it look fresh. There are no longer any Food Lyons in Houston.

or HD.
Next, you need to find a paste wax that does *not* contain silicone (which does baaad things to wood finishes). Three brands that are known to be silicone-free are Johnson's, Minwax, and Butchers.
Then, you need to find a place that actually sells one of those brands.
Forget Wal-Mart. You'd think they'd have it, but they don't. Don't even bother trying.
Johnson's Paste Wax is sold at *some* Lowe's stores, but not all. It'll be in the paint department, near the stains and varnishes, if they have it. Do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup -- someone (Sylvan?) posted the Lowe's stock number for it a few months back, so if your local Lowe's doesn't stock it, they should be able to order it for you.
Every Ace Hardware store that I've ever been in sells Johnson's, on the aisle with the cleaning supplies -- when you find Mop'n'Glo, you're near the JPW.
Independent grocery stores often have Johnson's, with the cleaning supplies.
Minwax Paste Finishing Wax will be in the paint department at Lowe's or Home Depot, and probably at Ace too. It's fairly common.
Butchers? Can't help you there. Never seen it. Other people here swear by it, and I'm sure they can tell you where to find it. Or you can Google this ng.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

Just an FYI
During the great Johnson's paste wax scare I got curious and gave the Min Wax 800 number a call.
Straight from the horse's mouth
Min Wax paste wax does contain anti slip agents and would NOT be appropriate for use on a table saw top or other such item where resistant free movement would be desired.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods
mikeg@heirloom=woods.net wrote:

When I called MinWax, I was told that their Paste Finishing Wax contains no silicone -- and the MSDS for it does *not* mention silicone.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:20:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

These two statements are not mutually exclusive.
Regards, Tom.
Doug Miller wrote:

He didn't say that it contained silicone, he said that it contained "anti slip agents". In other words if you're going for a slippery surface it won't give you one.

--
--John

Silicone is not an "anti slip agent"...
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

And?
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods
mikeg@heirloom=woods.net wrote:

and.... I guess I need to pay more attention, and read what's really there instead of what I thought was there. Sorry. Never mind.