table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

Page 2 of 2

Ah yes, some small saws with universal motors have brushes. Glad you were able to learn something from Usenet today.

I will admit ignorance of "table saw motor". Are you saying there are no brushes in universal single phase AC motors? I'm sure Milwaukee would love to know this.
nb
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:55:08 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Yes, many of the 'newer' cheap ones use brushes. Not surprising at all.

They may be full of sawdust?
Jimmie

So true, your usnet advice is worthless again.
On 4/4/2009 5:35 PM ransley spake thus:

At least I can admit when I'm wrong, something I've *never* seen you do (and boy, are you wrong a lot of the time!).
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

Really, so post them I dont remember any, and your still an ass to keep it up.
Us few drummers on here all know that using brushes is quieter... and then started using table saws where brushes means ungodly loud. I couldn't believe the difference switching from a tabletop brushed motor TS to a "proper" induction motor. Serious danger of injury from not hearing the motor running.
As to yer busted motor. I''d rip it out and drag it along to the local washing machine repair place (seriously) and get 'em to check it out and quite for a recondition/exchange if faulty. They may have brushes to fit or have a rewind/recondition service on the premises or be able to recommend their pet service if not. These guys handle fancy multispeed oscillating reversing motors all day. A TS motor will be child's play for 'em. If you know of a motor rewinders, try them first, or as well. They'll be able to tell you if there's a fault to be fixed.
If they don't have to dismantle a machine there'll probably be no charge for a quick check, or maybe a nominal fee whereas taking the whole thing somewhere for a strip and check will cost you 25. GBP ?45.00 USD just to look at it.
Then it's a judgment call - is the repair price worth it?
when you dismantle, the saw may have a left-handed thread (motor on your right, normal operating position) - or a right handed thread if it's on the operator's left.

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about your mishap.
Unfortunately, your table saw is a proud member of the "disposable tool" category which pollutes the marketplace nowadays. It's designed for occasional use and like any disposable product, it will be much easier and cheaper to trash this one and buy a new one... until the next one fails too... and so the wheel of frenetic consumption can keep rolling...
If you want a portable table saw, you should look for the Bosch 4100. At least, the parts will be available for quite a while and you can expect a better performance out of the saw. If mobility is not important, you can find a decent contractor saw for around 500$ brand new. In fact, the Ridgid TS3660 is getting a lot of attention and it sells for 600$. It comes in special every nom and then for 499$. This is not to mention that Kijiji or Craiglist may have a much better saw on the used market...
Hope this helps,
Ben

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374303523072&bmUID 38874397130&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id5524443277381&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true
*You may be able to save some bucks and have it rebuilt at an electric motor repair shop. Check the yellow pages. If nothing else they can tell you what is wrong with it. You might want to add thermal protection onto the motor control of your saw to prevent future damage to the motor.

The hard part is, putting the smoke back in.
bentley wrote:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374303523072&bmUID 38874397130&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id5524443277381&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Hi, Does the motor have capacitor? It may be shot.
There is a brush assembly part number. What does this mean? (if anything different)
There is no belt. The blade is bolted to the shaft.
There seems to be no capacitor, but a circuit breaker / rocker switch. I cleaned this circuit breaker / rocker switch out once as it has stopped working, but I can't see this being the problem this time. Could it?
also.....Bearings......? jloomis

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374303523072&bmUID 38874397130&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id5524443277381&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

If there was smoke coming out of the motor, the motor is shot. PERIOD. One of the windings burned up....
Maybe you can get replacement parts for that motor, or just a new motor. Unfortunately that generally costs as much as a new saw (or other tool). But some companies might be cheaper.
Another option would be to take the motor to an electric motor rebuilding shop. Maybe they can rewind the bad windings much cheaper. All you can do is ask them for an estimate.
RESPOND TO 2ND POST (with same title) ONLY PLEASE
I've got a new A/V install slowing things down & *^-ing everything up.
The second post (identical question) is the only one linked to three newsgroups I wanted.

Only way to know for sure is to pull the motor and take it to your friendly neighborhood motor shop for a checkup.
I will say that the "15A 120V...3.0 hp" listing on the motor is super optimistic at best. About the best power you can hope to get out of a 15A 120V input is in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 2.0 HP. Getting 3HP out of those inputs would violate the hell out of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics. You ain't gonna get more out than you put in.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

That rating is more than likely the maximum horsepower. The manufacturer is just taking advantage of the poor folks who don't understand how alternating current works. I agree, the actual horsepower is more like 1.5 (that is the average value). Jim

It has nothing to do with alternating current. It has everything to do with marketeering, bordering on fraud. These numbers often are the stalled rotor current times the source voltage to calculate HP (1HP ~750W). If course this number is meaningless. No, I don't pretend that my shop vac is 3.5HP either. ;-)

No, the actual horsepower is more like .5HP, or maybe even lower. Check the line cord for an eye opener.