table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day. Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough, brief, jerky rotation.

It came with a complete manual listing all parts including a full motor, but also has a separate exploded parts illustration of just the motor. Unfortunately it's out of warranty. So can I suspect to replace any parts, without having to replace the whole motor?

table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky

Mastercraft 55-6886-6 10" 15A 120V 60Hz 3.0 hp max 5000 rpm no-load speed

bentley

[...]

RESPOND TO 2ND POST (with same title) ONLY PLEASE

I've got a new A/V install slowing things down & *^-ing everything up.

The second post (identical question) is the only one linked to three newsgroups I wanted.

Reply to
bentley

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you willing to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Congratulations, you get to help jump start the economy by purchasing a replacement motor.

By the time you price out a replacement universal motor, you may find a new saw price to be just as attractive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap.

Unfortunately, your table saw is a proud member of the "disposable tool" category which pollutes the marketplace nowadays. It's designed for occasional use and like any disposable product, it will be much easier and cheaper to trash this one and buy a new one... until the next one fails too... and so the wheel of frenetic consumption can keep rolling...

If you want a portable table saw, you should look for the Bosch 4100. At least, the parts will be available for quite a while and you can expect a better performance out of the saw. If mobility is not important, you can find a decent contractor saw for around 500$ brand new. In fact, the Ridgid TS3660 is getting a lot of attention and it sells for 600$. It comes in special every nom and then for 499$. This is not to mention that Kijiji or Craiglist may have a much better saw on the used market...

Hope this helps,

Ben

Reply to
beniboose

*You may be able to save some bucks and have it rebuilt at an electric motor repair shop. Check the yellow pages. If nothing else they can tell you what is wrong with it. You might want to add thermal protection onto the motor control of your saw to prevent future damage to the motor.
Reply to
John Grabowski

The hard part is, putting the smoke back in.

Reply to
Tony R.

Well, it could be a direct drive universal motor...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Hi, Does the motor have capacitor? It may be shot.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ah yes, some small saws with universal motors have brushes. Glad you were able to learn something from Usenet today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I will admit ignorance of "table saw motor". Are you saying there are no brushes in universal single phase AC motors? I'm sure Milwaukee would love to know this.

nb

Reply to
notbob

There is a brush assembly part number. What does this mean? (if anything different)

There is no belt. The blade is bolted to the shaft.

There seems to be no capacitor, but a circuit breaker / rocker switch. I cleaned this circuit breaker / rocker switch out once as it has stopped working, but I can't see this being the problem this time. Could it?

Reply to
bentley

Hi, Mastercraft is maybe even lesser than Sears tools.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

5,000 RPM should have given you the clue this is a universal motor and thus has brushes.

So much for your electrical knowledge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just shows to go you ---A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. And, some times, it is the littlest minds that tend to dump on others = the most.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

Yes, many of the 'newer' cheap ones use brushes. Not surprising at all.

Reply to
PeterD

They may be full of sawdust?

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

On 4/4/2009 1:29 PM notbob spake thus:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 4/4/2009 3:02 PM Doug Winterburn spake thus:

You mean like on one of them cheap "motorized" saws? I thought the O.P. had a *real* table saw. So yeah, I guess it could have brushes, but not likely.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl