Table Design help needed

Coming to close on a kitchen table -- top is now down, its circular with a

48" radius. This weekend I am working on the pedestal or supporting structure. The plan for the pedestal is to use an "X" on the floor of half lapped boards at 90 degrees and the vertical riser is an open structure of 4 individual posts.

The question is to support a table that is 48" in diameter is there a minimum size needed for the feet -- the "X" on the floor -- should it extend to the end of the table -- 1/2 the distance to the edge 2/3 etc. I can handle the esthetic angle -- just wondering about the engineering.

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Yes, there is a minumum size...wide enough so it doesn't tip :)

Seriously, you need to make it small enough so that it doesn't impede feet but wide enough not to tip. I assume people will be sitting so that they are in the hollow portions of the "X" so your only problem is the tipping potential. On my own 48" round table I inset the four legs by 6". Could have inset them 12" without problems (as long as no one sat on the table edge) but I liked the wider look.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

36" would be pretty safe for a heavy kitchen table.

Would you consider 3 legs? A little harder to build, but I hate the way 4 legged tables *always* rock. Although I have seen some spring loaded feet that are supposed to minimize it...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I measure some 48" round tables at work today -- they all seem to have "feet" that extend 36" (18" from center). The tables varied in Design, formica w/steel pedestal and cherry or walnut with wood pedestal -- all had the same foot print -- must be an accepted standard........

Reply to
Sam the Cat

I built a copy of an antique 60" round table. I just measured off the existing table. Measuring straight from toe to toe is 48". I guess about 12" shorter than the top is what the guys are finding with the

48" tables too.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

This is an area where we could benefit from some intelligent design. Good luck. Keep us informed. If Fletis replies, ignore him.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

spring

Actually, a 3 legged table has to have legs that extend 40% longer than four legged table to have the same stability.

John

Reply to
julvr