Trestle Table Design Question - Knock down top attachment

Also, anyone have any good ideas on ways to mount the top to the trestle portion to easily be able to knock down?

I've thought of hidden dovetail rails or simple "wooden latches" (just a block of wood MTd into the bottom of the table top, then use a peg into a hole on the trestle bottom)

I just want to make sure it's sturdy enough if someone needs to pick up the table and move it or pull and slide it....

Thanks, Chad

Reply to
Chad Richardson

box lid latches

Reply to
bridger

*Assuming* that the trestle is sufficiently structurally sturdy _by_itself_, then a collection of the 'figure eight' fasteners (whatever their 'proper' name is :) into the top of the trestle ends, and the bottom of the top, should suffice.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

There's often a cleat across the underside of the table to hold it flat.

Make this reasonably deep, put a wide and deep groove in the trestle top to take it, and use a couple of cross-drilled holes with matching pegs to hold it in place.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:26:25 -0700, "Chad Richardson" calmly ranted:

Sliding dovies work well, as do M&T with pegs, same as the stretchers.

That's a good thing to plan for.

So you're going with the 7" overhang, are you? Are there any Alpha Males to be seated at this table? They'll be MIGHTY PISSED at the lack of leg- and foot-room at the GOD end of the table.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks Andy, I had the same thought last night.

Reply to
Chad Richardson