Sweeney Erect - An Epileptic At The Workbench

Aye, you can have your Shakespeare and you can have your Joyce, if you are of Gaelic turn of mind.

You can have your Hobbes and your Locke and Rousseau.

You can have your farmisht Franklin and your bumpkinish Jefferson - if they would lead you anywhere that you might want to go.

But it is Eliot, ah, brother Eliot, who takes me to the task of wooddorking.

Give me Eliot and only Eliot, to elucidate the captureless life of wooddorking.

"And the trees about me, Let them be dry and leafless;"

How is this that starts so great a poem - and is this not wooddorking, in its essence?

"PAINT me a cavernous waste shore Cast in the unstilled Cyclades, Paint me the bold anfractuous rocks Faced by the snarled and yelping seas."

Does this not call us most immediately to eschew the bounds of poly and paint our projects - such vision!

"Morning stirs the feet and hands (Nausicaa and Polypheme). Gesture of orang-outang Rises from the sheets in steam."

Do not you all feel just the same, my brothers, the Nausea from the Poly in the early morn?

"This withered root of knots of hair Slitted below and gashed with eyes, This oval O cropped out with teeth: The sickle motion from the thighs"

Ah, the knots, certainly we have had more than surfeit of knots.

"Jackknifes upward at the knees Then straightens out from heel to hip Pushing the framework of the bed And clawing at the pillow slip."

You see, you certainly must see how the misapplied tool can do damage beyond all reckoning.

"Sweeney addressed full length to shave Broadbottomed, pink from nape to base, Knows the female temperament And wipes the suds around his face"

Hearken now, as Sweeney addresses the stick of Mahogangy in his effort to reveal those colors all unhidden.

"The lengthened shadow of a man Is history, said Emerson Who had not seen the silhouette Of Sweeney straddled in the sun."

A pox on Emerson, I say - he misunderstands a man that works his wood.

"Tests the razor on his leg Waiting until the shriek subsides. The epileptic on the bed Curves backward, clutching at her sides."

Well, we've al relieved a bit of cunning cross-grained stuff with sharpened implements. He claims a shriek, we hear a sigh.

"The ladies of the corridor Find themselves involved, disgraced, Call witness to their principles And deprecate the lack of taste"

Do we not see these lumbering netnannies do nothing but so much the same?

"Observing that hysteria Might easily be misunderstood; Mrs. Turner intimates It does the house no sort of good."

As do we always have complaints from those other than ourselves, when dust and nasty things incur - where do our loved ones dwell.

"But Doris, towelled from the bath, Enters padding on broad feet, Bringing sal volatile And a glass of brandy neat."

A perfect ending to a day of wooddorking, in my estimation.

After seeing all of this, you must certainly agree, that Master Eliot doth rule in trades that deal in trees. And isn't he just so insightful, never barking, never spiteful - speaking only what's delightful - in the regard of wood.

God bless his soul.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Would that be Table Saw (T.S.) Eloit by chance?

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Tom, You been sniffin' the shellac thinner again?

BTW, have a wonderful time @ the shore this weekend.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I think Tom's talkin' "wood" and Eliot's talkin' "woodie"

Just a thought.

jmac - Who's still enjoyin' his second cup of morning coffee.

Reply to
jmac

too much time on yer hands again, Tommy Boy?

dave

Tom Wats> Aye, you can have your Shakespeare and you can have your Joyce, if you

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The only word I understood in all that is nausea. I think I'm going to be sick Cheers. Joe

Reply to
KB8QLR

Better that, than what is usually on yours.