    Shoulda worn gloves... ;^)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
All but the smaller sizes of twist drills are ground with "back taper": the tip has a greater diameter than the shank to prevent binding in the hole. The edge(s) are sharp throughout the entire length of the flutes, however it is the 'other [perpendicular] end' that actually does the cutting: the lip, extending from the chisel edge to the periphery.
-