Discovery!

When you're a novice you have these little Eureka! moments. These are most often followed by the news that 1. Everyone Else Already Knows How To Do It, or 2. Your "discovery" is an ass-backward way of doing something that Everyone Else Has An Easier Way of Doing.

Here's a recent one of mine. I have a small bench vise, which is a marked improvement over No Bench Vise, but it was too short to hold even a 26" piece of 1x3 steady so I could plane the edge a little. Here's my solution, so far:

a piece of 2x4 screwed into the bottom of the workbench overhang, to support the other end of the board. For thinner stock I put a spacer of scrap wood on top of the 2x4 piece.

I have a couple of friends who find no end of amusement in my "discoveries", so I figure I could provide the same service here. :)

But seriously, whatever sort of vise I might have, there would be some length of stock that would be too long. Is there a better solution, maybe something that could easily be removed, or hinged? I was thinking about using a metal plate, possibly with those machine thread/wood thread bolts and wing nuts for easy removal.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

You might find satisfaction in knowing that your idea is not new but you mostly only find a refined version on well thought out work benches. Good for you Greg!

Reply to
Leon

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p9g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the reference!! Got the Kindle edition for $9.99.

Reply to
Han

The part on the left front of the benchtop is a wedge, to keep wood from shifting as you plane it from the right. (It's a right handed bench, y'know.)

The vertical vise is a leg vise. The bottom portion has holes on the horizontal portion which allow you to open the vise, peg the bottom, and obtain a vertical jaw so it grips properly.

The hourglass shaped holed board in the center is a placeholder. You put holddowns through it to hold the planed board horizontal and level.

These parts, when used together, hold a board quite securely for planing or drilling operations.

-- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. -- Matthew Arnold

Reply to
Larry Jaques