Sun and sun beams

The piece I'm making is a sun with radiating sunbeams. The sun and beams are a glue up of separate pieces of a variety of woods. I'm gluing together the beams first and want to cut a precise round hole in the middle for my disk "sun". The stock is about 3/4" and the sun will be about 2 1/2" diameter. I'm trying to figure out to cut out a precise round hole for the sun to fit perfectly into the beams. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks, Bob O.
On 20 Sep 2004 08:27:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@us.net (Bob) scribbled:

You could use a 2-1/2" Forstner bit, with a very shallow cut on the drill press for the hole. (assuming you're using veneer.)
Look for arch punches, usually used to punch holes in leather, to cut out the sun. Available at McMaster-Carr & other fine metalworking tools purveyors. http://www.mcmaster.com /
That's what I did about 10 years ago when I made a board (& box) for a game called Wordsearch. I could not find another copy anywhere after buying the original in Anchorage. It involved inlaying 64 contrasting circles on a board.

bit. Will you be cutting through the beams, also? If so, the you may want to enter through the backside. Maybe! Tom Work at your leisure!
hoole saw, into a scrap, then use a router to cut the circle, but use the hole sawn board as a template...
Spur bit (like a forstner)

Maybe this could be done on a lathe or ShopSmith by mounting the piece on a faceplate and doing some outboard turning. Many older (Delta?) lathes had outboard mounting capabilities and the SS can easily reverse the whole headstock if the piece is over 12" diameter. Seems to me lathe turning in this way could lead to a very precisely sized hole with reasonable care. Just a different approach.
Joe