Finshing Spanish Cedar door

I just picked up the gorgeous custom Spanish Cedar entry door for our under-construction new home. I'm about to start working on finishing the door now. The fellow at the mill that made the door suggested spar varnish, but I thought I'd check with the experts here to see if that's the best product to use. This is an 8' by 3' door, with a glass insert. It sits under an 8' deep porch, so it's not directly exposed to the elements. The door doesn't need stain; we like the natural color of the Spanish Cedar. Is spar urethane the way to go? Thanks.

Reply to
Profsuzy

fsteddie

Works for me. My back door is 26 years old and still looks pretty good, as is a few pieces of outdoor furniture a few years old. Spar varnish has some UV protection, plus it is more flexible with the weather changes.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 20 Sep 2004 07:56:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gettysburg.edu (Profsuzy) scribbled:

Spar might be too soft &, IME, other urethanes tend to flake off. Sikkens Cetol 1 & Cetol TGL is my suggestion. I have used it successfully on red cedar windows, and many boaters swear by it. I settled on Cetol after considerable research on getting a clear, UV protected finish.

you might try the new Cetol Door & Window product.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi