Suggestions wanted for wood dowel supplies in Toronto, Canada.

Hello folks,

I am asking on behalf of a relative in Toronto, and I know some of you are there / close to there, so perhaps you can help.

Lee Valley have apparently stopped selling a particular type of wooden dowel measuring 3/8" x 1 1/2" with a spiral cut in to them. Ones available from other shops (Home Depot?) are apparently of a noticably lower quality, and he is reluctant to use them.

So can anyone recommend a shop which sells high quality dowels?

Many thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
pastedavid

Any chance that your relative could change his/her methods and use metric? Lee Valley sells very nice 8mm fluted (not spiral) dowel pins. Otherwise, Lee Valley still sells accurate long hardwood dowels that can easily be converted into suitable pins by running a block plane down one side to make a glue-release space and then cut to length. I've always gotten along fine with this method for decades.

Reply to
BenignBodger

Thanks for the reply! I'll send the suggestion on to him now.

Cheers!

Reply to
pastedavid

As another posted - try the metric - or - contact Lee Valley with this concern - they might be sourcing another supplier - or - waiting for demand to justify sourcing another supplier ..

Reply to
hubops

ChairMan

Thanks, I'll pass on the suggestion!