Studying a Chinese "Sideboard"

Since Power Poster 2000 has dumped 500 or more "messages" to a.b.p.w. - I 've posted the illustration of a cross section of the front of the Chinese sideboard I'm studying in a.b.p.f.

I earlier started a thread here titled - "D'ja ever REALLY study a nice piece of furniture?"

I'm really studying a Chinese "sideboard" I inherited and, in addition to noting how they play with the visible parts - rounded over edges, integral beads, integral coves etc., I'm trying to deduce the hidden joinery - none of which is visible from the outside of the piece. I intend to post what I find as I figure it out and make drawings of what I find - and there'e plenty to discover.

I did a drawing of a cross section of part of the front of this piece. What I discovered is that Chinese furniture designers / makers, at least the ones who go for the "Ming Dynasty" style, are very good at making things look delicate while while maintaining the structural strength required by the parts.

Am working on drawings of the triple mitered Aprons to Leg parts and their joinery. Will post that here when it's done.

As I go, I hope to figure out one way to make the joints and illustrate the method.

As always, comments, suggestions, questions and constructive criticism are appreciated.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Any chance you could cut a few joints and pass them around the class? I love it when they do that in seminars. ;)

RicodJour

Wait till the copyright violation flood is over in abpw, please. Supernews is pretty good at retention but I imagine a lot of posts are getting knocked off other servers almost immediately.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone