Stuck router bit in collet

After routing, the 1/2 inch bit was frozen pretty good in the collet. Actually had to use pliers to twist it loose. The collet had not bottomed out, nor was excessively tight. Upon inspection, neither the collet nor the bit were warped or damaged in any way to cause a freeze (at least by eyeball exam).
Should one put a bit of white grease or machine oil on the bit during insertion? I hesitate, since drips might stain the wood. I'm not even sure this would help the situation.
Thanks for any info, Chuck
Be sure to grease it up really good! It wont stick in the collet all then. But you might have to pay the hospital bill.

Don't lubricate. First, check the shaft is clean and straight - warping from stress will stick it. Take apart the collet and clean it carefully with a small test-tube brush or similar tool. Check the fingers of the collet insert - if it has been done up too tight a few times they may have closed up. Make sure that it's clean and rust-free.
If all is OK, it could have been that it heated up and the shaft expanded. Letting it cool for 10 mins will see it slide right out.