1/2 inch router

Once I have got the worktop sourced (see previous post) I will need a half inch router
what do the team think of the silverline offered by toolstation?
I have a couple of kitchens to do with wooden worktops
I prefer to buy rather than hire
any other recommendations without going top of the range prices
Regards

If it's like the Silverline one I got from Toolstation a couple of years ago, don't bother. I needed a 1/2 inch router to make one worktop corner joint and didn't want to hire but there was so much slop in it, it went back unused for a refund. The Screwfix Titan ones are worse.
Ended up with an Erbauer which is reasonable enough for the odd worktop and general carpentry but, if you were in the market for something to make fine furniture with, I think you'd want to spend more.
On 15/06/2011 16:35, TMC wrote:

Not tried it, but would not hold out too much hope!

No doubt it will mange a couple of kitchens though.

The SF own branded one gets reasonable reviews:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb210c-2100w-router-230v/95675
Mid price, MM have a reasonable Freud:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ft2200vcek-1900w-router-230v
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Or buy a Dewalt and flog it after the job is done

I looked at the erbauer but it is out of stock at the moment
Also the freud but that is limited stock as well
the clarke cr2 at MM may be worth a look at but again that is limited stock
Cheers

I bought a B+Q PP branded one for this job: The basic operation is fine, but depth control is absolutely useless, not that that matters for worktops, skimming the ends off doors etc, and it was hardly expensive. If you're like me, the first one of anything you buy is never quite good enough - I always wind up buying something better down the road, if it turns out to be useful!
What surprised me though was how good the finish was when cutting my worktop to length with a circular saw: It didn't need finishing off with a router (except that I'd left a bit on the length to allow for this!)

I bought this one after throwing away a Power Devil piece of crap... http://tinyurl.com/66skn74 It's been a great tool and has not let me down yet. The box it comes in is really good too, lots of storage for bits.
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfixbtinternetcom

I already have a Perles 1/4 inch router
Its the 1/2 inch machine I need
Regards

What jobs will a half incher do that a quarter wont?
NT
Tabby wrote:

Big jobs!

well that was useful.

well that was useful.
Seee my earlier post regarding wooden worktops
On 17/06/2011 07:44, TMC wrote:

wrote:>> I bought this one after throwing away a Power Devil piece of crap...

The description on that one suggests it will take a 1/2" shank, even though the title says 1/4"
In fact if you look here at the same part number:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Routers%20Ryobi&productW407
its got a better description of it.
Routers are very much a case of you get what you pay for IME. While not being much of a fan of much Ryobi stuff in general, I suspect that may be a better choice than some of the more budget options.
--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Routers%20Ryobi&productW407
Thanks John certainly looks worth a shot
Regards
On 17/06/2011 17:34, TMC wrote:

Although if paying that sort of money I would go for the Freud. (Wickes used to badge a version of that in their grey body "pro" range - they quite often charged more for it that the OEM however. You may still find some of those in the shops)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:35:06 +0100

A 1/2 inch router is one of those tools (like an angle grinder) that when you get one you wonder how you ever managed without it.
I got sold a Freud at a woodwork show, with a good discount and a set of their own bits thrown in. This was in about 1998, and it is still going strong having been the power behind most of my cabinet making since then - and that includes over a hundred panelled kitchen cabinet doors made with both hard wood and MDF.
Buy a good one, and enjoy your woodworking.
R.