Straight Edge to Cut Door

Page 2 of 2
Go your local metal supplier and buy a piece of angle iron.

about
one
am

The factory edge of hardwood plywood is usually pretty good. Or why not use another one of the doors?
Paul
Rip a factory edge off an 8' piece of plywood about 3" wide. Place it on top of a an 8' piece 1/4" tempered hardboard that's about a foot wide such that the plywood edge you ripped is on the left and lines up with the edge of the hardboard. Nail/glue/screw the two together.
When the pair is as one, clamp it to a bench such that the plywood/hardboard portion is on the bench and the "just hardboard" portion is hanging in space. Take your circ saw and cut the hardboard for the full 8' length using the factory edge of the plywood as a guide for your saw.
You how have a saw guide that's made to fit your saw and your blade exactly. Line the new cut in the hardboard up along the line of the door you wish to cut, clamp it and go....
Cheap and simple and accurate.
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Buck Turgidson" <jc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Subject: Straight Edge to Cut Door From: "Buck Turgidson" jc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Date: 6/2/2004 7:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Probably a silly question, but it has been bugging me. I need to trim about 1/8" off some door slabs that I am installing. I'd prefer to cut rather than plane or sand.
The problem is finding an 8' board that is straight. I thought I found one only to find that either it warped on the way home from Home Despot, or I am blind.
I have tried fake wood panel trim, only to find that most of it is not straight either.
Can someone suggest an economical material or product that is reasonably straight enough? I have seen a fancy saw guide that Tommy Silva used, but not sure I wanna sink the bucks into it.
a straight line with a circular saw:>The problem is finding an 8' board that is straight.
You should only need a 7 footer...Wait, haven't I been here before? Sawboard'll do it. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....