Story Stick Pro 96"

Page 2 of 2
On 1/12/2016 7:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

Certainly not for every one but IMHO a bargain if you can use them in the shop to save time and you have deadlines.
On 1/12/2016 8:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

Oh nooooo Mr. Bill...
--
Jeff

On 1/12/2016 7:03 PM, Swingman wrote:

I mention the below because if you are had never used the original device, you might have initially missed the importance of the part that apparently has gone astray in delivery.
The new Woodpecker 96" Story Stick Pro was delivered today, or most of it. I'd give you guys a review, except that the new "end stop", aka the part that makes it much more valuable to me, was missing from the shipment.
Background: there are three essential marking devices without which I simply can not/will not do any shop work. If I can't find any one of the three, for any reason, I will quit doing anything at all until they are located and within reach:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#6241587443486299762
For my purposes, the new 96" Stick Stick Pro leverages, with regard to precision "batch marking" to length, the two on the right.
It was WoodPecker's incorporation of the offset tabs, in conjunction with their new "end stop", that made me realize its value for the way I work, and why I ordered it in the first place.
Here's what came in the package today ... the end stop should have been in the package with the bolts/screws:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#6241587416491032802
Hopefully, won't have to wait until the end of February 2016 to put it to work.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/19/2016 2:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

LOL....I forgot about you having the tool in the back ground. I use mine all the time. In fact the same can be said about those 3 items for me too.
On 1/19/2016 2:54 PM, Leon wrote:

IIRC, the same drug,,err tool dealer gave it to me ... LOL
Damn, Leon ... half my shop can be attributed to your largess/influence.
And, come to think about it, I wouldn't have a router table lift either.
Once again, Thank YOU ... Partner ... <g.d&r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/19/2016 3:09 PM, Swingman wrote:

You simply can't keep tools like this a secret or to yourself. LOL
You have certainly returned the favor on many occasions..... Festool parallel guides, blades, pencil scribes, electronic depth gauges, sacrificial fence holders, and generally a lot of know-how. ;~0 Thank you 2. Lardass my eye... LOL
For starters, kudos to Woodpecker for their customer service, it was excellent. The missing part (end stop) arrived today, as promised, and they stayed in touch with me all the way until delivery.
The unit is well engineered, all parts are machined to exacting tolerances, and the fit and finish of parts and connectors is excellent.
Assembly is self explanatory, therefore no need for instructions.
Although a quick check with my favorite shop tape measure showed that all of the measurements coincided perfectly the individual 3 32" length units, I decided to take it on step further out to 96".
I use only one tape measure on a project, and I really to do want that tape measure to coincide perfectly with the built-in tape on my table saw fence. Same for any other measuring/setup devices.
With that in mind, and since measurements may not always be the case with different tape measures/devices, I did a "calibration" of sorts to insure that what is read independently on the project tape measure, coincides exactly with the measurements on the story stick's three parts when assembled.
That was a simple of matter marking lines at 12", 24" and 36" from one end of a known square board with the project tape measure, then insuring the end stop was installed in the exact spot necessary for the tape measure marks to coincide with the same measurements on the story stick. Simple matter to carry it all the way down if need be, but that was not necessary. Granted a bit anal, but whatever precision measurement takes.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJigsFixturesMethods?noredirect=1#6242369666626679618
<scroll to RIGHT for next four pics>
All in all, pleased with the product. And particularly pleased with the way the solid connectors aligned the individual 3, 32" story sticks. Very much like the Festool guide rails, the precision of all parts is built-in.
If you already have the WoodPecker story stick, rest assured all parts are interchangeable, allowing you to leverage what you already own.
If I could have my druthers, I would prefer the end stop be of metal instead of plastic, but that is a very minor issue. Just take care with it.
Many ways to use the tool, so let your imagination be your guide. Just for grins, I set it up to cut multiple, exact length parts from one 8' tubafour, taking into account the saw blade kerf ... marking the next 147 tubafours just means moving the story stick. :)
Be glad to answer any questions.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Ordered mine! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/30/2016 4:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Just in the nick of time! LOL
I have used mine 2 times already.
FWIW I have found that the 32" sections are a great size. I have 24" and 48" too but prefer to use shorter if possible. So if I needed 26" I had to pull out the 48" stick.
On 1/30/2016 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Thanks for that. On the strength of your recommendation (thanks for that too, Leon) I ordered one as well. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the second run at the end of next month.
I originally hoped to see that it was a 48" and then 2 24"'s. Nice to know that you think the 32" size hits the sweet spot.
Anyways, late to get the order in and now I feel like Peanut's Linus waiting for that pretty little blond girl to give me a late Valentine<g>

If it makes you feel any better I ordered mine within a few hours of receiving the email notice. A couple of hours after they were sold out and the next shipment would be the same one you are waiting on. So those people are really waiting a long time.

I ordered mine about a week after you. I've never had trouble waiting for Christmas morning. It used to piss off my brothers (all older) that I'd stay in bed Christmas morning. ;-)
One Time Tools often take three months, so four or five weeks isn't a problem. Though it's only a $20 incentive to order early.
First batch sold out on first day. Second batch ships at the end of February but if you still order before the end of the month you get the $20 discount.
On 1/13/2016 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:

Not surprised.
How much in commission did you get? ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/13/2016 12:36 PM, Swingman wrote:

LOL.....I'm suppose to hold my breath, I think.

I ordered mine when I saw your post. It came today, so a bit earlier than the end of the month. ;-)
On 2/6/2016 5:13 PM, krw wrote:

Great! I love the through set screw connectors. Well thought out.

Haven't opened the box yet. Family is here from out of state, so it'll probably be a couple of days (at least).
On 2/6/2016 6:30 PM, krw wrote:

Ah! the suspense! LOL They really could teach Festool a thing or two about how to make those connectors.

Woodpeckers and Fesstool have a lot in common. Nice, well engineered and manufactured products (at a nice, for them, price point ;).