Story Stick Pro 96"

Not to worry, you will be in the stellar, discerning company of members with particularly exquisite taste in the arcane, but useful, tool, one not normally appreciated by the unwashed, seething masses.

Welcome to the club ... Leon will issue your secret PIN for your discount (and his commission) so be sure to use it.

Reply to
Swingman

Damn ... Had I known all that I would have ordered two.

Reply to
Swingman

Now that was a mouth full.

Yeah! LOL

Reply to
Leon

You think Betterly makes a tool like the one for the track saw track for this? LOL NOT!

Reply to
Leon

Yeah the indexing tabs "square up" on the bar.

In all seriousness my wife has helped me using the story stick pro's when I had a ton of narrow pieces of plastic laminate to cut. When I opened the e-mail and showed her the new Pro 96 she immediately told me to order it. I absolutely expected to see a price north of $200.

Compared to some of their one time tools this set up is inexpensive.

And I might add that the 48 and 24 Pros do not come with the offset tabs for on top of the panel marking nor the calipers.

Reply to
Leon

I mention the below because if you are had never used the original device, you might have initially missed the importance of the part that apparently has gone astray in delivery.

The new Woodpecker 96" Story Stick Pro was delivered today, or most of it. I'd give you guys a review, except that the new "end stop", aka the part that makes it much more valuable to me, was missing from the shipment.

Background: there are three essential marking devices without which I simply can not/will not do any shop work. If I can't find any one of the three, for any reason, I will quit doing anything at all until they are located and within reach:

For my purposes, the new 96" Stick Stick Pro leverages, with regard to precision "batch marking" to length, the two on the right.

It was WoodPecker's incorporation of the offset tabs, in conjunction with their new "end stop", that made me realize its value for the way I work, and why I ordered it in the first place.

Here's what came in the package today ... the end stop should have been in the package with the bolts/screws:

Hopefully, won't have to wait until the end of February 2016 to put it to work.

Reply to
Swingman

LOL....I forgot about you having the tool in the back ground. I use mine all the time. In fact the same can be said about those 3 items for me too.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC, the same drug,,err tool dealer gave it to me ... LOL

Damn, Leon ... half my shop can be attributed to your largess/influence.

And, come to think about it, I wouldn't have a router table lift either.

Once again, Thank YOU ... Partner ...

Reply to
Swingman

You simply can't keep tools like this a secret or to yourself. LOL

You have certainly returned the favor on many occasions..... Festool parallel guides, blades, pencil scribes, electronic depth gauges, sacrificial fence holders, and generally a lot of know-how. ;~0 Thank you 2. Lardass my eye... LOL

Reply to
Leon

For starters, kudos to Woodpecker for their customer service, it was excellent. The missing part (end stop) arrived today, as promised, and they stayed in touch with me all the way until delivery.

The unit is well engineered, all parts are machined to exacting tolerances, and the fit and finish of parts and connectors is excellent.

Assembly is self explanatory, therefore no need for instructions.

Although a quick check with my favorite shop tape measure showed that all of the measurements coincided perfectly the individual 3 32" length units, I decided to take it on step further out to 96".

I use only one tape measure on a project, and I really to do want that tape measure to coincide perfectly with the built-in tape on my table saw fence. Same for any other measuring/setup devices.

With that in mind, and since measurements may not always be the case with different tape measures/devices, I did a "calibration" of sorts to insure that what is read independently on the project tape measure, coincides exactly with the measurements on the story stick's three parts when assembled.

That was a simple of matter marking lines at 12", 24" and 36" from one end of a known square board with the project tape measure, then insuring the end stop was installed in the exact spot necessary for the tape measure marks to coincide with the same measurements on the story stick. Simple matter to carry it all the way down if need be, but that was not necessary. Granted a bit anal, but whatever precision measurement takes.

All in all, pleased with the product. And particularly pleased with the way the solid connectors aligned the individual 3, 32" story sticks. Very much like the Festool guide rails, the precision of all parts is built-in.

If you already have the WoodPecker story stick, rest assured all parts are interchangeable, allowing you to leverage what you already own.

If I could have my druthers, I would prefer the end stop be of metal instead of plastic, but that is a very minor issue. Just take care with it.

Many ways to use the tool, so let your imagination be your guide. Just for grins, I set it up to cut multiple, exact length parts from one 8' tubafour, taking into account the saw blade kerf ... marking the next

147 tubafours just means moving the story stick. :)

Be glad to answer any questions.

Reply to
Swingman

Ordered mine! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just in the nick of time! LOL

I have used mine 2 times already.

FWIW I have found that the 32" sections are a great size. I have 24" and 48" too but prefer to use shorter if possible. So if I needed 26" I had to pull out the 48" stick.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for that. On the strength of your recommendation (thanks for that too, Leon) I ordered one as well. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the second run at the end of next month.

I originally hoped to see that it was a 48" and then 2 24"'s. Nice to know that you think the 32" size hits the sweet spot.

Anyways, late to get the order in and now I feel like Peanut's Linus waiting for that pretty little blond girl to give me a late Valentine

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If it makes you feel any better I ordered mine within a few hours of receiving the email notice. A couple of hours after they were sold out and the next shipment would be the same one you are waiting on. So those people are really waiting a long time.

Reply to
Leon

I ordered mine about a week after you. I've never had trouble waiting for Christmas morning. It used to piss off my brothers (all older) that I'd stay in bed Christmas morning. ;-)

One Time Tools often take three months, so four or five weeks isn't a problem. Though it's only a $20 incentive to order early.

Reply to
krw

I ordered mine when I saw your post. It came today, so a bit earlier than the end of the month. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Great! I love the through set screw connectors. Well thought out.

Reply to
Leon

Haven't opened the box yet. Family is here from out of state, so it'll probably be a couple of days (at least).

Reply to
krw

Ah! the suspense! LOL They really could teach Festool a thing or two about how to make those connectors.

Reply to
Leon

Woodpeckers and Fesstool have a lot in common. Nice, well engineered and manufactured products (at a nice, for them, price point ;).

Reply to
krw