Storm Brewing at FWW

Page 2 of 2

On 19 Jun 2005 23:15:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

there is some of that at play here. there is also some of the other- the magazine covering it's own economic ass...

you realize of course that you have just placed yourself in the "in the know anti in the know" group....

very true

ayup. but minwax poly will still look like cheap poly in the hands of a pro....

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:51:08 -0700, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@all.costs spake:

I don't think Taunton needs to worry about finances. They're good guys fighting the good fight and have high enough prices on all their items to keep themselves clearly in the black forever. They cover 4 very tight niches quite well.

Agreed.
Not necessarily true. Poly looks quite nice when put on in thin, even coats. The last time I used poly was some Diamondthane (or whatever it was called 30 years ago) on my kitchen cabinet doors. It popped the grain so well in the lauan that it looked like real mahogany. I spent many an hour prepping it, cleaning it, and laying it down evenly. After I deglossed it with Scotchbrite, I used lemon oil as a topcoat. It looked great (even after I sobered up, so you know I wasn't a pro.) ;)
I have a feeling that even MinWhacked wiping poly might look good if applied properly.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================
Since so many are bitching, it sounds like it was a pretty balanced/fair article.
Lou

I didn't bitch, but I skipped the article. :-)
--
Lowell Holmes

Larry Jaques wrote:

Has your account been hacked? <G>
Barry
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:29:58 GMT, the opaque B a r r y

LOL! No, I've simply seen far too many -extremely- poor applications of poly; I'd say right about the 95% level.
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================

Patriarch
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:41:10 -0500, the opaque Patriarch

Thank you for providing immediate and unrefutable proof, Glen. ;)
-------------------------------------------- -- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. -- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ===========================================================
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:40:21 -0700, the opaque Larry Jaques

Perhaps I should qualify that: proof of poor poly papplication, pard. Namaste.
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I've tried the T&T products after reading glowing reviews of them. Maybe I'm missing something but I found the products to be pretty poor. It washed out the grain and did take forever to dry. I've still got the small cans of the stuff if anyone want's 'em. I'm pretty partial to Waterlox now. Cheers, cc

On 18 Jun 2005 13:10:36 -0700, brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Preview: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_178_032.asp
Some past thoughts on varnish by Chris Minick http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00063.asp
From what I've seen, Chris Minick likes poly. So if you want your work to look like his, you know what to use. If you want it to look like Chris Becksvoort, then likewise.
But I ain't growing no Michael Eavis "Which way up is my head" beard for no-one!
Andy Dingley wrote:

If I recollect also, Chris is a chemist by training and his reviews tend to concentrate on such issues more than pure aesthetics by which many others judge more heavily. I got the new issue yesterday and looked at it quite briefly--that glance reinforces my previous thinking---
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:53:21 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Well that explains a lot. I has a chemist visiting this weekend. Despite knowing more than is sane about the chemistry of alkanet root mordants or turpentine pyrolysis, he just paints _everything_ with black poly.
On 18 Jun 2005 13:10:36 -0700, brian_j snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you think that we are having trouble understanding the results, you should visit the FWW website and check out the discussions that are going on there.
It is quite enlightening.
Tom Watson wrote:

I hadn't looked, but I can imagine... :)
It's as sorry an article in general as I can recall in FWW (and I've subscribed since early in Vol 2)....and somewhat surprising as I've thought most of Minick's previous writing pretty lucid.
Do you think they are bending to the people buying the ads? I sometimes think that is the reason for some of these comparision articles. Home made (or commodity) finishes rarely finish first.
I hope it is not so thin of a veil here but could be.

It'd be a waste of time evaluating a something which didn't have a consistent recipe.
Gawd I love conspiracy theories.....

A friend of mine on another project in another medium coined a phrase you'll love: "never underestimate the power of a moron with a conspiracy theory."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

    j4

In my experience (25 years+ in the publishing industry) it's the opposite.
Much more likely is that they have a planned editorial calendar and their ad department uses it to sell advertising. For some mags, that calendar could be set a year in advance. It gives their sales force a fairly powerful tool to use when talking to advertisers.
djb