Stationary Disc Sander - Shopsmith Steel Disc Good Enough to Use?

I am going to make a stationary disc sander with quick change discs. I am considering using Shopsmith steel sanding plates, but don't know how good they are. Do they run true?
Thanks
If you want to use my email address, you will have to take out the "7".
Tue, May 8, 2007, 1:09am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (Larry) doth query: I am going to make a stationary disc sander with quick change discs. I am considering using Shopsmith steel sanding plates, but don't know how good they are. Do they run true? Thanks If you want to use my email address, you will have to take out the "7".
Not used 'em myself, but judging from the Shopsmith stuff I 'have' used, I'd say yes indeed.
I won't email you, you don't email me.

You should probably know that the arbor diameter may not be 'standard' with the Shopsmith.
The primary use of the Shopsmith in my shop is as a disk sander these days. Works OK. And at the price of used ones, you may be able to score them cheaply.
Patriarch
I have one of the aluminum Shopsmith discs that I bought off ebay to replace the missing one from my secondhand SS. I think it's from the older Shopsmith series. It's a little thicker and has reinforcing ribs on the back and edges. It runs great and would make a fine stationary disc sander.
I am told that if you want to run true, stay away from velcro backed sandpaper discs. Just have 2-3 discs with PSA sandpaper of different grits that you can change the whole disc on demand.
FWIW, Bob the Tomato

My SS discs are of the old, ribbed variety and the newer, flat steel. Both types run true enough to use as edge sanders for panel glue ups and the like. I don't have a velcro disc but there doesn't appear to be any complaints on the SSUSERS list. I agree with a previous poster: buy a few and glue on different grits, then just exchange the whole disc. Gene