stanley #55

I'm a bottom feeder, and proud of it! Didn't pay too much for my #45..but got a chance to pick up a #55 w/ box and 2 of the sets of cutters box 1 and box 4...for $225. Question is does it seem like a good deal..I've looked on the bay, maybe $300 with all blades. What do you guys think?
walt q in cold Connecticut
Considering what there going for on e-bay, yes,

and
on

According to John Walter a #55 by itself is $50-$200, cutters are $5-$10 each. You could check Kean to see what he thinks, with net prices factored in. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

and
on
When I was poor, I used a 55 in anger for the rebates and housings in a complete set of fitted wardrobes. I still have both the wardrobes and the 55, but I would never again consider using such a dog of a tool in anything but the most mild and straight-grained wood. It's a bitch in knotty pine. I have several routers now, but, even if I hadn't, I'd walk a country mile to avoid using the 55 again. And that's from a neander!
Cheers,
Frank

#45..but
forth from the murky depths:

That's not too bad a price for a c*ll*ct*r. You weren't going to do anything really silly like try to -use- it, were you?
--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! || http://diversify.com
Boycott Baby Oil! || Programmed Websites

and
on