stand up desk

stand up desks are popular now for some

i have heard it said that sitting is the new smoking i am not sure what the new drinking is though

has anyone made a stand up work desk

i haven't even looked at any yet but will do that soon

i guess about 3.5 feet high but probably has to be adjustable has to be stable and sturdy i would guess that it will get leaned on because who can resist that

maybe leaning is the new gum chewing

Reply to
Electric Comet

Designed this for a client, but never built it:

Robatoy was very interested in building it before he got passed away a couple of years back.

One of these days, except that I like to sit...

Reply to
Swingman

I think I'd like the design more if it had 2 legs in front.

Reply to
Bill

Made this for the local Elks Lodge as a lectern/podium/guest-sign-in station:

Doug Winterburn

Some (younger) people I know recently got desks that are motorized to raise and lower for sitting and standing. The mechanism/stand units were in the several hundred dollar range. They just used butcher-block for the tops. I believe they have drawer units underneath that make the whole thing look like a standard desk when in the "sitting" position.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Greg Guarino wrote in news:mlug7j$7oo$1@dont- email.me:

The ones I have seen (some of my cow-orkers have them) are like that, adjustable for sitting or standing, except they don't have motors(*). The tops are typical office furniture (laminate on plywood or MDF or somesuch), and the moving part is just large enough for a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (or a laptop).

(* motorizing the moving part sort of defeats the healthy exercise idea...)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Yep, that's why I took the motor out of this... ;-)

(Apparently I bought a slightly different unit. Mine came with a brunette.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Doggone, blonde or brunette I'm jealous.

On a serious note, I have enough trouble typing when I'm stationary. I can't see doing it while also walking along the treadmill.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

i like the kangaroo style i may go more conventional like some of the stand up writing desks i found

i saw one that had a metal foot rest bar low across the front

but i think any stand up desk would have to have some adjustment mechanism

Reply to
Electric Comet

i have now seen every style imaginable and there are conventional

4 legged and everything else

some look all wrong to me and seem unstable/unsteady

Reply to
Electric Comet

yes they are big bucks and i saw a nicely made wood stand up writing desk that was $2500

the motorized ones are in the $500-2000 some even display the height on a digital read out which made no sense to me

well maybe they have a memory for presets or something like that

Reply to
Electric Comet

similar in function but form is quite a bit different

Reply to
Electric Comet

I agree, but you have to admit that the unit is well proportioned. I mean the desk, of course.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some years ago, 14 or so - we had a nice young lady that worked all day on her feet. Had a stand up desk and met with people all over the place. Her desk was adjustable, she could do it herself. Before I left that company for a better job I heard she was a part time model. Desk near the senior managers offices... wondered.

As I recall, she could step on a lever next to one leg and raise the table. It was levered so weight didn't mater much. She then placed a pin with a ring - easy to use - into a hole. Lower it and it catches. Then she would do the same on the other side that is hanging in a way - and set it to the right height.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

----------------------------------------- SFWIW, the gym I use as a matter of policy, does not allow treadmills.

To many accidents, as a result of people falling off of them resulting in serious, sometimes fatal, injuries.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The last few years I have a number of folks call wanting to simply have the legs on their desks made longer for stand up use.

They want to drop off a leg, specify how much longer, and always mention they will keep the old legs in case they change their mind.

I've passed on more than I've done, but this is an example:

Swingman

A metal foot rest?? That sounds like a bar. You would need a place to put the bar. I would not want to lean against a table with a foot rest without a drink in my hand. It would be unnatural!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

With all the recent publicity concerning walking, leaping and pouncing robots, I got an image in my mind of a leaping desk when I heard the term "kangaroo desk". Hey Swingman, could you design a desk that a robotic whiz kid could turn into a leaping weapon of war? DARPA may give ya a million buck for it. Ya know, it could be justified as a defensive technology in case the pentagon gets attacked again.

OK, I will go back to being reasonably well behaved now.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A few years ago I was on a treadmill about 15 feet in front of someone who was also on one. He was possibly also operating a mp3 player. Someone he got his feet tangled, fell down and the treadmill shipped him into the wall. It was hard to keep a straight face.

Reply to
Bill