stand up desk

A good mechanism for presets might especially make sense if the desk were shared. Growing up, we had one desk in the house, and it was shared. Not adjustable though. Do you remember telephone books at the kitchen table? : )

Reply to
Bill

I remember our number was 532J and the operator asked "number please".

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

"Do you remember telephone books?" is a fair question now. Not so long ago the white pages here was 4" thick, and the yellow pages was two books, each also 4" thick. Now the white pages are gone, and the yellow pages is one book, only

1" thick.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

When the new book was delivered a week or so ago I picked it up out of the driveway and dropped it in the recycling bin as I went by... I cannot recall a single time when I opened the phone books that have collected dust in my office over the past decade or so... I go to the internet!

The main problem is that many phone numbers are not in the book. This as cell phones and voice over protocols on the internet have widely replaced traditional land-lines. The only utility the phone books have now is as an ad revenue source for the book's seller.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Luck you. We still get the big books and the "off brand" book.

Reply to
Leon

Many, many years ago, when we used to actually use the phone books, I added a shelf in the upper portion of the base cabinet closest to the kitchen wa ll phone to hold the phone books. Kind of like a little cubby hanging just below the counter.

SWMBO doesn't think we should toss the new books in the recycling bin the d ay they show up, so for the past few (many?) years we've replaced the old o nes with the news ones and there they sit until the next set arrives. She's happy, I don't care, so it works. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I grew up in NYC with 2 brothers and 1 sister. 6 people in a row house list ed at 1400 sq ft. The garage was under the house, so to make more room, my father and grandfather took about 2/3 of the garage and built us a study. T hey put up a block wall, leaving about 1/3 of the garage accessible from ou tside and then added a door from the basement into the "new room". They bui lt this big U shaped unit with 4 "desks" along 3 walls. Each desk was separ ated by bookshelves above and below the writing surface.

It wasn't anything fancy, just sturdy 2 x 4 construction, but it gave each of us our own place to study and store our school stuff. In a house that sm all, with a tiny galley kitchen, we couldn't take over the dining room tabl e with homework because we'd have no place to eat dinner. Turning the garag e into a study was a stroke of genius and it got many, many years of use.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

This has become a common arrangement for new construction in South Fla. You open the garage door and there's about 6' of depth, to store the lawn mower and other garden tools. On the other side is a room, replete with electrical outlets and an AC vent, just like the rest of the house.

Dunno if that's done anywhere else in the country.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

But of course. It is Kalifornia.

Fatal?!

Reply to
krw

I guess Dad and Grandpa were pioneers. ;-)

Does South Fla. have 1400 sq ft row houses on 1250 sq ft lots listed as Multiple Occupancy (2 family) and estimated at $600K?

That's what Zillow shows for my old house. Dad paid $27K back in the early 60's and sold it for about $250K in 82. Now it's $600K for that tiny place? Somebody better really like those 4 desks. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, fatal...

DerbyDad03

I suppose they don't allow stairs in Kalifornia, either. Good grief, one can hit their head getting out of bed.

Bath tubs? Oh, the *humanity*!

If my gym didn't have treadmills, I wouldn't be a member. I use one for an hour (plus) a day five (plus) days a week. Have one at home, too, but the motivation is different.

Reply to
krw

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

We have houses that size on tinier lots, but they're not multi-family, and they're not generally that expensive.

You have to take Zillow numbers with a grain of salt, but still, that's a good ballpark number.

My Dad used to say the house you could afford was 4x your salary. Of course, he was saying that in the days of 8% or 10% mortages, but still, I doubt folks in that area have anything close to $150k annual incomes. They must be hurting to have to pay that much for a house.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

It's not the house price, it's the size of the mortgage. And your father was liberal. I always heard that a mortgage should not exceed 3 times your annual income. But with 20% down, the bank approved 4x for us.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

shared but not at the same time

but i have decided that i will make a stand up desk that looks more like a traditional stand up or writing desk

4 legs and possible a sloping top

i find that simple furniture in form and function is more livable than something big and heavy that requires electric power

there is a guy that has a 100% solar powered shop that makes some real nice furniture including stand up desks

Electric Comet

3x looks like a pretty good number, assuming 4% interest rates and a tax millage rate of 2% (a little more complicated that that, since the millage is based on value, not mortgage). With the above numbers, you wouldn't be too much over 25% mortage+tax+insurance/income. Of course, every dime you don't have to pay in real estate tax is a dime that can be spent on the mortgage (note that 2% millage represents ~1/3 of the mortgage payment). IMO 4x is do-able but starts out in a pretty deep hole. Of course, all of this is based on 4% interest. At 8%, everything drops roughly in half (and the housing market crashes and burns).
Reply to
krw

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:mm4u2n$m8a$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Well, in that day and age the 30 year, 20% mortgage was pretty much the only thing going. So his 4x house price, less 20% is pretty close to your 3x mortgage.

Myself, I'd be uncomfortable with 1/3d my income going to house payments. I was a lot more conservative when I bought my house.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

There are treadmills in gyms in california. Just because one chain prefers, as a matter of policy, not to have them shouldn't imply anything about the state, except to nutcases like krw.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

this is a good point and you can stand or sit at one

Reply to
Electric Comet

----------------------------------------------------------- Spent a lot of hours slinging lead on a table built with a 2" thin wall pipe frame, some angle iron and a 5' x 10' sheet of plywood.

Typical layout drawing was about 20-30 ft long so you had the leading and trailing edges often rolled up when working the middle of the drawing.

This was for 1/4 size layout drawings for foundry automation systems with an occasional sheet steel pickling line thrown in to keep busy.

My guess is that none of those customers are even in business any more.

This was basic rust-belt business.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett