Staining oak with Cherry stain

I'm in the process of building a cabinet area, and the overall color look I want is a light cherry color. Oak is the only hardwood available to me, Countertop area is to be made of oak, some oak veneered plywood on the sides of the cabinets. The back splash is made of pine that I got cheap, but I want it all to match up a reddish cherry color. Is it possible if I apply a little at a time or will it streak on me, and cause black lines in the oak? Plan is to cover in boating/marine polyurethane.

Please tell me if it's possible to match close enough.

Reply to
hart

Matching oak and pine to a common color is not going to be easy. The grains will look entirely different, the absorption will be entirely different. IMO, it will look like crap. Try some samples from scraps.

Instead of stain, the may be another method such a dyes, but Ih have no experience with them so I can't be of any help there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski