Stain,oil,varnish disaster

I tried some black stain on a test piece and finished it with danish oil and it looked quite nice.

When I stained my pine box it didn't look too nice, but I thought the danish oil would smarten it up a bit, but it didn't.

I then thought it would be a really good idea to add some mahogany tinted varnish as that would be bound to make it look better. It looked even worse, and I had to rescue a couple of insects who seemed to like wet varnish.

I've stripped the varnish off with some stripper, but is there any way I can get rid of the stain with danish oil on it? I'd like to get the natural wood colour back so that I can refinish it just with danish oil alone.

Thanks a lot.

Garry

Reply to
garry parker

nope garry your screwed

seriously you could sand it off or paint the box oil based flat black ,then apply a couple coats of satin varnish when black is dry

Reply to
fsteddie

Thanks for the reply. I'll try sanding it at the weekend and see how that goes first.

Garry

Reply to
garry parker

what about bleaching out the color, Garry, if sanding requires too much material removal?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Garry: If you get the color back to where you want it, be sure to use a pre-stain conditioner before you attempt to re-stain. Pine is soft and porus, a condition that varies across a piece of wood. This is what causes an uneven or blotchy color when stained. There are several conditioners (MinWax makes one) that help even out the surface absorbency. I haven't used it on pine but it works well on birch.

Reply to
RonB

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've sanded it out now, unfortunately there are a few bumpy areas, but I've managed to rescue the box at any rate. I called it a box, but it's actually a small cabinet for a home brew guitar amp. I'll be finishing it with Danish oil as I really liked the look of the back plate which I've already done with it.

I wish that I'd discovered Danish oil sooner. I had a nightmare trying to varnish the other cab that I made. I've been doing that one on and off since February, and it still isn't quite good enough. I can't believe how nice Danish oil looks considering how easy it is to use.

Thanks again.

Garry

Reply to
garry parker