Spray Painted Surface Very Rough

Page 2 of 2

What is the source of the roughness? Paint fragments or small wood fibers that popped up from the surface?
You may well have "raised the grain"- caused such small fibers that remain after sanding to stand proud after getting wet.
Were that so, I'd be sure to use a cabinet scraper (rather than any sander) prior to sealing and between subsequent coats.
Can easily pass the "baby's bottom" test, doing that, with construction-grade plywood- utility stuff.
TTFN, J

[...]

On May 23, 2:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

Sorry about the stuttering, but GoogleGroups kept telling me something like "try again later, sucker." So, I kept trying.
Live & learn.
TTFN, J
It sounds like the nozzle wasn't clean enough. This can cause globs on the finish that don't flow into the surface and settle with the rest of the spray. Wetsand with 600 grit, clean , dry, wipe and spray again. It's alot of extra work but it will turn out the way you want it too.
been there, done that.

I didn't think of that. Now that you have mentioned this, I will clean the nozzle right after each use next time when I need to spray paint from a can. Thanks for the tip.
Jay Chan
Jay Chan wrote:

Don't clean it by poking something in it, clean it by holding the can upside down and depressing the valve until only propellant (no paint) comes out. Like it says on the can.
--

dadiOH