Splitter recommendation - Left tilt Unisaw

I need a recommendation for a table saw splitter.

I have a Left tilt Delta Unisaw with the Biesemeyer overhead guard. The splitter that came with the saw seems poorly conceived, installing and removing it is time consuming enough to suggest that the designer expects one to have two saws. I'm willing to endure some inconvenience but not as much as this splitter requires. Nor am I willing to run the saw without a good splitter solution.

I purchased the "snap-in" aftermarket model from Biesmeyer. But it is not well constructed, it doesn't stand straight and it is machined too thick for a standard saw blade. I have spent considerable time trying to grind it down but continue to be dissatisfied with the result.

I'd like to find something like the push down model in Kelly Mehler's book/video but it apparently isn't made for the left tilt.

I know that the more convenient it is the more likely I am to use it. Perhaps that sounds lame, but facts are facts.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Kevin Carbis

I'm not sure what happened to your Biesemeyer splitter, but mine is perfect and works great. It is straight, was very easy to align perfectly with the blade and has stayed aligned for well over a year. I take it out and put it back in many times during each project, and it always lines up just right. It is designed for use with a 1/8" kerf blade, which is what I consider "standard". If you're trying to use it with a thin kerf blade, you're definitely not going to have fun. That's not what it was designed for anyway.

I'm unsure why you've had problems with yours, but perhaps you got a lemon. I also have the Biesemeyer blade gaurd as well as a few other table saw fence add-ons and they are all rock solid and work wonderfully. They are still a rip off, but that's how it goes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Hi Mike,

I must have a lemon, definately not using thin kerf blades, all my blades are 1/8" "standard" blades. Sounds like I should have taken it back right out of the box, unfortunately its probably too late for that.

Reply to
Kevin Carbis

Nothing lame about that sentiment at all ... convenience is the #1 reason I use mine religiously on ALL through cuts on my UniSaw. AAMOF, it has become so much a habit that the saw no longer looks right without it ... a mental 'double check' I was shooting for in the first place.

Not familiar with the Biesemeyer splitter, but all I've heard is good things about it.

That said, I have a Delta splitter that comes with their UniGuard that is so simple to remove and replace, and so well made, that it is something you automatically without thinking about it.

I think it is available separately, but is pretty pricey ... however, I will pay the price for both safety and convenience.

Reply to
Swingman

Kevin,

Call their tech support guy and talk nicely... I had a problem with mine, the bracket assembly was not ground correctly and even though I tried hand filing it down, it still would not fit properly. Called them, explained the problem, sent a couple of photo's to show exactly what was wrong and they said a new splitter is on the way - keep the old parts. It didn't matter to them that I was trying to fix it. They realize stuff happens and since these splitters are outsourced, QC may not be the best.

The new splitter worked fine and they thanked me for pointing out a production problem. Call them, they'll fix it.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

"Swingman" wrote in

Amen!

Mehler talks about the Delta Removeable splitter in this article. My local Rockler ordered it for me as a service part early last year. Maybe $35 total. Well worth it.

It's on my left tilt Unisaw all of the time, except when working with the dado stack, or cross cutting, (usually with a home made sled).

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

My experience with the Biesemeyer splitter is similar... I had one on my Jet contractor saw and it worked so well I put one on my new Jet cabinet saw Monday. Alignment took me a while to get "perfect." However, I probably went too far by using feeler gauges between the straight edge and splitter until both sides were exactly the same and the splitter was perfectly perpendicular to the table. The splitter is narrower than the cut of a standard WWII, and that's the only single blade (as compared to dado) I use, so kerf binding on the splitter hasn't been a problem for me.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin
2>

My stock guard has been on the floor since I got the saw, tried to use it, but first time it came off it stayed off. Have been thinking of putting a splitter into my Zero clearance plate.

Should take a look at the Beisemeyer today and see what it is like.

Reply to
Alan W

I have and love the Bies. That said, you do HAVE to use standard kerf blades-which automatically made my thin kerf obsolete. But at least I use it-something I could not do with the stock Delta splitter.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Ditto on the splitter that comes with the Uniguard. I went to a local Delta parts store a couple of years ago, they looked it up in the parts manual and actually had one in stock, about $30 or so, works great, has a knurled knob for quick removal, best bargain in "aftermarket" splitter out there, and I am shocked Delta does not promote it separately with a large markup in price, as they always seem to do. Mutt

Reply to
Mutt

I am pretty sure that the Biesemeyer T Guard splitter is called Splitter Assembly Complete Part #134 9941. See it at

Cape Cod Bob

I have been looking at this one for my right tilt Unisaw.

here:
concept seems sound and it is reasonably priced. Anyone ever use it?

Reply to
Poseidon