Speaking of old tools (was under "belt sander")

Page 2 of 2

Um.....well, the 3AH does tend to spoil me. But if I'm into a fairly big job, I keep the charger handy. {:-) (I have spare batteries for them)
Max

I had one of those routers when I first got into woodworking. Seems to me it had one of those collets that had the "automatic bit disengage systems" even when the collet was tight. I hope it's not worth much as a collectors item cause I'm sure it got flung in the dumpster.
Russ P
On 4/17/2010 5:41 PM, RP wrote:

This is interesting as I am still using the Craftsman 10" table saw and Craftsman Router that my father-in-law bought in 1969. In fact I put both through their paces today making stretchers and frames for my wife. ( She paints on canvas with acrylic paints.) Table saw to cut the miters and doing some of the milling, and the router in a table to make the frames look nice with various bits.

1969 is when I bought my first table saw, a Craftsman 10". IIRC, it was $99.00 (without a stand) I had been using a circular saw that I mounted under a 4'x4' piece of plywood. I used a piece of 3/4 ply as a fence. Ya do what ya gotta do.
Max
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:10:29 -0400, the infamous Keith Nuttle

I'm still using my dad's old Craftsman circular saw, too. Some day, if and when it dies, I'll buy a small, lightweight equivalent with better sawdust control. That old thing blows sawdust up my sleeves, into my eyes, down the back of my neck, into my shoes, into my ears, and up my, um, skirt every time I use it.

Bueno.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

Aww shoot Keith, don't get me wrong I've got plenty-o-craftsman tools and some dandies too. I especially like my wrenches. I also have a 2 1/2" 16 gauge nailer I can't kill. Although pretty, that particular model router in the picture spit out it's bits. I had another one a feller gave me did the same thing too. They might of been overused by the time I got my grubby paws on 'em though. Friend of mine only buys the 3 1/4 horse craftsman routers for his line of work.
RP
On 4/20/2010 5:50 PM, RP wrote:

My brand new Porter-Cable also spit out its bits until I cleaned the collet. Go down to a gunshop and get a pistol rod and .25 and .50 caliber brushes and jags (make sure they fit the rod), and some patches, and give them a good scrub with lacquer thinner. If that doesn't help then get new collets--they're not horribly expensive.

Too late for that, she hit the dumpster a coupla' years ago. Good tip though. I also use a little slice of scotchbrite with mineral spirits every once in awhile to clean things up. Especially the PC 7518 in the router table. Its gets used a lot.
RP