Speaking of old tools (was under "belt sander")

Here's a couple of vintage "early 60s"

Max

Theodore Edward Stosterone

That's what they used to deliver electricity through the metal case to the user.

Reply to
Joe

Drain lines.

Max

Reply to
Max

And no reverse (>drainage) on the drill, either!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It may sound strange to some, but I've decided I can live with a few of them--no concern about whether the battery is charged and how much so, no concern about how much the next battery is going to cost or whether it will still be available when I need it, more power, lower cost. I have a wireless drill as well (a little on the wimpy side). Whether wireless is better "just depends".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I had one of those routers when I first got into woodworking. Seems to me it had one of those collets that had the "automatic bit disengage systems" even when the collet was tight. I hope it's not worth much as a collectors item cause I'm sure it got flung in the dumpster.

Russ P

Reply to
RP

This is interesting as I am still using the Craftsman 10" table saw and Craftsman Router that my father-in-law bought in 1969. In fact I put both through their paces today making stretchers and frames for my wife. ( She paints on canvas with acrylic paints.) Table saw to cut the miters and doing some of the milling, and the router in a table to make the frames look nice with various bits.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

1969 is when I bought my first table saw, a Craftsman 10". IIRC, it was $99.00 (without a stand) I had been using a circular saw that I mounted under a 4'x4' piece of plywood. I used a piece of 3/4 ply as a fence. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Max

Reply to
Max

Depends on what? It's only better if you NEED it. I've found there is very little where "I" need a cordless drill enough to make it's shortcomings acceptable. All those concerns listed by the poster above.

Anywhere a cord is not a serious drawback, a corded tool beats a cordless hands down - weight/power/performance/cost.

Reply to
clare

Funny, one gets a different impression at the "marketplace", huh. It took me a while to unlearn that I had to have cordless stuff.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*trim: list of cordless drill shortcomings*

I said the same thing... until I got my Makita. The corded drill still has its place, but it's usally in the drawer. The impact driver weighs less than the corded drill and drives screws better..

I tried a friend's Panasonic a few weeks ago, and understand why guys like it. It would sometimes purr like a Tribble.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

wrote

A cord is always a drawback to me. Not serious but............. I have a bad habit of tripping over cords. That plus my cords are alive and inevitably tangle themselves. I like my cordless drills. I have more than I need but not as many as I want.

Max

Reply to
Max

I probably haven't been spending enough time browsing catalogs - but does anyone have suggestions for corded drills with clutches?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

---------------------------------------- If you want an argument, you will have to change the subject.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That would be a very limited selection. I have looked a number of times and could only find a single model that was much more than I wanted to pay. I bought an independent clutch that I chucked into my corded drill and used that for many years. It was something I picked up at a lumber yard. But my makita cordless is much better. So I tossed it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Milwaukee 6580-20 is great. I have one.

with my acquisition of the Makita 18V Li-ion cordless, I hardly ever use it.

Max

Reply to
Max

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:36:37 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Sonny scrawled the following:

And no intermediate giddyup/whoastops, either. They're click-on, click-off, period.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:10:29 -0400, the infamous Keith Nuttle scrawled the following:

I'm still using my dad's old Craftsman circular saw, too. Some day, if and when it dies, I'll buy a small, lightweight equivalent with better sawdust control. That old thing blows sawdust up my sleeves, into my eyes, down the back of my neck, into my shoes, into my ears, and up my, um, skirt every time I use it.

Bueno.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

... 'til one reaches end of the rope and then they're off, period. :)

--

Reply to
dpb