Spacing of guide holes in the 3-hole Kreg Pocket Hole Jig?

I saw a close-up view of the 3-hole guide in one of the videos, so I stopped the picture in the middle of the close-up and using a scale on the screen measured the diameter of one of the 3/8" guide holes (0.8") and then the large space (1.85"), small space (1.3") and overall space (3.05"), and from this information I decided the large space is actually 7/8", the small space

5/8" and the overall space 1 1/2". I couldn't find the specification of these dimensions anywhere, so I'm still not sure these are correct dimensions. If anyone has the kit that contains the 3-hole guide jig, I'd really like to know the actual spacing.

Thanks,

Chuck.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

I have the jig, but never cared to measure them.

When I need one hole, I use the center opening. When I need two, I use the outside holes. Since you're I'm not making a mating piece, I haven't run into a situation where some sort of precision spacing is necessary, like it would be when doweling. Maybe someone else has...

If I remember, I'll measure it next time I've got it out.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Right, and I'm sure that's the reason why Kreg never pins it down on their website - - but sometimes you might need to buy stock that's compatible with tooling, so knowing tooling dimensions could be useful. Also it's worthwhile to know what the manufacturer decides is a useful spacing for a couple of fasteners into a 2x2 for adequate strength, which is one way to interpret the 7/8" spacing. Thanks for your comment.

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Chuck -

I just measured my fixture and the large spacing is indeed 7/8", but the smaller spacing is 9/16". Hope this helps.

Les

Reply to
LesT

We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!! (Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra bits and on casters.

sure to expand the pics.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

We I guess I have a gloat. I'll just be making my pocket holes one at a time with my single head Marcom pocket machine I got for $400!!! (Thanks craigs list) Just like this one and in brand new shape, extra bits and on casters.

$1700 machine for $400??

That's a deal!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"SonomaProducts.com"

You indeed sucketh!

Congratulations.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, it looks great sittinmg next to my Ritter 911 oscillating 108" belt edge sander. This sander looks brand new, is something over $3k new and I got it for $500 from a sad victim of the down turn, an entire cabinet shop, one of many I see on craigs these days, being liquidated for pennies on the dollar.

At least the pocket machine was available because it was replaced by a near new Castle pocket machine at a local shop. Even though that guy got the Castle for $900 from somebody else who went out of bus.

The Marcom is not quite as nice as the Castle type pocket machine. The Castles have a router and a drill and put the screw in at 7 degrees which minimizes the uplift forces when screwing compared to the Kreg

15 degree. The Marcom has the pneumatic hold down but uses a stepped drill just like a Kreg and I assume its 15 degrees also, haven't checked.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I think that qualifies as a neener.

Lee, you suck!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" made a provocative statement to me

Uhhhhhh....., Morris, it wasn't me who bought the machine.

But my wife says I have good technique.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Waaaaay TMI.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yes, that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks, Les.

I also found that McFeely's shows the spacings in the description of the K4 kit, but I haven't seen any other place that does. Their description also shows the K4 kit includes the dust collection attachment, but the Kreb website doesn't - - oh, well - - that's progress. If they can confirm that McFeely's kit has the dust thing (maybe due to old stock), that may be a good place to buy it.

Reply to
Chuck Olson