Source for 7/4 of 8/4 red oak in WPA

Does anyone know of a source for 7/4 or 8/4 rough sawn red oak in the western PA area? My normal supplier doesn't stock it anymore due to low demand.

He told that I would be better off by face gluing thinner stock rather than buying the thicker material. Any thoughts?

BTW, I am making a table and chairs for SHMBO for xmas.

Thanks,

Reply to
Pennsylvania Patriot

western PA area? My normal supplier doesn't stock it anymore

than buying the thicker material. Any thoughts?

Have you checked with West Elizabeth Lumber? I haven't been there for some time but they used to have a good variety of thick hardwoods.

Reply to
John McGaw

I have heard of then, and, in fact, they are relatively close to me. Unfortunately, they seem to ba open 8-5 M-F, no Saturday hours. Perhaps they will be open this Friday. I'll check it out.

Reply to
Pennsylvania Patriot

i saw a large pile of it at woodworkers source a couple of weeks ago. they do mail order.

"Pennsylvania Patriot" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Thanks. I never bought wood on-line before. How do you know deal with random lengths and UPS shipping restrictions? That is, if I need 4 foot minimum lengths, can one specify that, or do you get whatever they send you?

Reply to
Al Reid

>>> Thanks. I never bought wood on-line before. How do you know deal with

call and ask them. they have some premade up ups mailing bundles (20 bf) and the price includes the shipping, but that's mostly random lengths/widths. i don't recall if they have prebundled thicker stock than 4/4. i guess you could ask and get whatever lengths/widths you want since they provide custom cutting/edging/planing also. there's also a weight limit for ups you'll have to worry about.

when i go there, i drag out the board and tell them how much from which end i want.

most of what i see there is s2s, but it isn't finished planed.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I've not ordered from woodworker supply before - their prices seem pretty high compared to other places.

I will recommend 'The Hardwood Store' at

I just received 30bf of black walnut from them and am very pleased with the quality and service. I placed the order last Tuesday, it shipped on Thursday, and arrived yesterday (Monday). The lengths are not long (< 4 ft), but I told them I was building endtables so didn't need long lengths. I'm sure if you request it they could ship at least 4ft lengths - they claim that they can ship up to 9' via UPS, although there is probably a UPS surcharge for something that long.

They do have 8/4 and even 12/4 red oak. They also have prepackaged 20bf lots (4/4) of different hardwoods. When I placed my order, I got one of the prepackaged lots and also 10bf of 8/4.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just a very pleased customer.

Chad

Reply to
Chad Bender

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Reply to
Al Reid

area? My normal supplier doesn't stock it anymore

exactly Western PA but I have bought 8/4 red oak from them and they stock beautiful stuff. They claim on their site that they do mail order although I have never used that particular service. I have faxed orders to them in the past and it has been ready and exactly what I ordered (and very nice stock) when I went to pick it up. They are very pleasent to deal with on the phone as well.

Hope it helps . . .

Larry Fox

"Pennsylvania Patriot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I'm thinking you shoulda started somewhere around about the 4th of July...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Al - Try Mountain Lake Lumber in Duncansville - 814-696-8706 - Norm McGough. This is just a little one man operation, but he has some great stuff. He has his own saw mill and kiln, and really knows wood. Last time I bought white oak from him (several months ago) it was $1.80/bf. He has red oak, cherry, maple and others. He had a great load of ash (really nice quality, and about $1.60/bf), but that may be all gone by now. Last time I was there he also had a load of elm (?? never knew it was used as a woodworking lumber, but I guess anything's possible). I suspect that if you have a specific need for a certain size, he would probably be willing to custom cut and dry it to your requirements.

If you're in Pittsburgh, it's probably about a 2 hr drive, but if you have a pickup or trailer, I think you can make it worth while.

Norm's a great guy, and doesn't mind selling smaller quantities of lumber.

Nick B.

"Pennsylvania Patriot" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" "Pennsylvania Patriot" wrote in

Why is that. It takes about a day and a half per chair based on the set of smaller children's chairs I've made in the last couple of weeks. Those were made of cherry that I had laying around. Assuming I can find the materials, I will have no problem finishing them in time for the holidays.

Reply to
Al Reid

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Reply to
Al Reid

"Al Reid" wrote in news:K_Rod.5962$hJ6.3243@trndny01:

Either your plans are simpler than what I have seen, or you work more quickly and efficiently, and/or with fewer interruptions.

A finishing schedule, with my shop and equipment, often takes me two weeks alone, and that doesn't include curing prior to rubbing out. I'm not equipped to spray lacquer, nor will I be anytime soon.

Another note, regarding red oak: The mantel I'm working on for my father's home has some corbels/supports cut from 8/4 red oak, which has been in my wood rack for at least 6 months. On cutting these corbels this evening, I found some serious internal checking, such that I'm going to have to cut two more, or change the design some. Be sure to allow for that tendency with oaks.

God speed, and good luck with your project.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" "Al Reid" wrote in

I made plans and have complete cut lists and detail drawings. I tend to do a setup and cut all parts, then setup again. I tend to get tunnel vision and work at a feverous pace until I complete something. I also spray lacquer. I can get three to four coats on in 2 to 3 hours and rub out the next day.

Last night I face glued 4/4 stock to see if I can avoid the need to find 7 or 8/4 stock. If successful, that should obviate the problem of internal checking. If all goes well, I'll be done in a couple of weeks.

Later,

Reply to
Al Reid

Try Forcey Lumber in Woodland, near Clearfield. Phone

814-857-5002. Easy access to Interstate 80.

I've bought from them a couple of times and got good quality rough sawn stock.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.