Source for 5 1/2" circular saw blades

Does anyone have an economical source for cheapo blades for battery powered circular saws?

The cheapest I've found is about $6 from Home Depot. I can get 7 1/4" blades, carbide tipped, for about $1-3. Why can't I find the smaller ones for this price?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
SamShank

Six bucks isn't expensive for a blade. I wouldn't want to use anything you're getting for $1-3. You should not be able to find a saw blade for $3. Someone around you is going to be eating the carbide that flies off that blade.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I paid $15 for my last 4" carbide blade for a Makita trim saw.

7 1/4" blades are cheap because they sell billions of them.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Several years ago Black and Decker sold a 5 1/2" circular saw. I have one and use the hck out of it on small jobs. I still on occasion find some of these blades at Black and Decker stores and flea markets.

Curtis

Reply to
Curtis Conley

I paid $2.89 for a carbide tipped circ. blade three years back. Used it to cut up a 40' X 15' front porch (flooring and columns) then, to cut all the replacement stock for the new floor and posts. Finally killed the blade when we took off old "built in" gutters by cutting teh entire 40' length of roof open through teh shingles with that blade. Still worked just fine believe it or not... But could tell it was getting dull.

After that, I ran out to the vendor who was selling those blades and bought

  1. I have a lifetime supply now.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

Joe

Hey - me too. My brother had it and after he got killed I ended up with it. Love that little sucker. It's light, maneuverable, and just plain handy. At least it was... the switch went on it and B&D does not carry the parts for that saw anymore. It's a cheap piece of crap - bushings, noisy motor and vibrates like hell in your hand, but it sure was easy to cut with. Beat grabbing my Milwaukee most of the time for quick cuts.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I must live in a different part of the country. Economy blades for a 7 1/4 are typically just under $10 here - or maybe I just subconsciously overlook the $3 blades.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Have you looked at the Porter-Cable trim saw? It's a 4-1/2", gear driven, weighs about 7 pounds, is not particularly noisy, and if you wear one out, you're doing heavier work than most people. I had one, someone swiped it about

20 years ago, and I've never replaced it, but every time I cut a sheet of plywood, I wish I had.

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I hadn't Charlie, but I will be. I took the cheap B&D apart thinking I would rig up some sort of switch and then decided not to - as handy as it is, it's just a cheap saw and not worth much effort. After using this little monster for a while I'm pretty well decided to replace it with something similar, but of higher quality.

Reply to
Mike Marlow