Sounds Crazy But......

This probably is crazy but do they make any kind of table or bench where you can attach an "Angle Grinder" and then you can move the piece of wood over the grinder to remove lots of wood fast? I have had to use an angle grinder in the past to shave down some wood quickly and man does it work well, but I was thinking maybe I am missing the boat and that I might be able to make the grinder stationary and move the wood across it. Sure works faster than a belt sander.... -Maybe I'm drunk!
buck wrote:

One can always figure a way to hold it in a vise but I'm not sure why one would do this. Seems like sawing it would be quicker and safer. Also a stationary belt sander with something like 60 grit will make a LOT of dust.     mahalo,     jo4hn -still sober after all these years...
That sounds dangerous.... There is a blade that goes on an angle grinder to do that job. I think it's safer if you hold the grinder and "bolt down" the wood Just my opinion Frank
buck wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net wrote in message

I don't think it would be any more or less safe than any other stationary or portable power tool--operator sobriety (by whatever definition) being most important.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth-ANTISPAM-.net wrote in message

Oops! Hit the post button too soon-- As I was saying, safety depends on the operator. ;-)
Buck, are you talking about using a grinding wheel on wood? I think you're on to something, but the dust would be an issue.
Dan
Yeah, I have used a zirconium 4-1/2 inch wheel on wood and man does it do the job... really fast and not as bad as you would think for sawdust.

where you

over
grinder
but I

make
than

Maybe, or perhaps you are one of those people who ask these questions [at least verging on a troll] about how to use a tool in a way it was definitely not designed for, and often as not ridiculously dangerous, without having tried it themselves. Try it, and then let us know how you make out.
Bill.
I've done it many times. No less safe than any grinder. Works great.

you
over
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:01:36 -0400, Bill Rogers

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?pageB528&category=1,42524,42527&ccurrency=2&SID
snipped-for-privacy@canada.comXX wrote:

Unicut radial arm, angle grinder mount is an option. http://www.hegner.co.uk/system/index.html No I havn't tried one, yet....
Ok..Ok... the more I think about it.... It does sound dangerous! Not a great idea.... -thanks for bringing me to my senses.

you
grinder
than
buck wrote:

Cradle blocks and hose clamps, Workmate. Ballast with 1/4 ton of gravel or hope it doesn't kick back.

you
Fast ? There is a blade for an angle grinder that has a "chainsaw" cutting surface... Wanna carve some bears ?
I have used an angle grinder to remove excess wood many times and I say be careful! It does remove wood, but it can get away from you in an eye blink. Make sure you wood is secure, wear heavy gloves and a face shield. A heavy apron is also a good idea as well as having some way to deal with lots of dust. I use one to form seat bottoms for windsor chairs, takes about five minutes with some followup sanding. Think safety! GCS
GCS- Thanks for reply!

be
blink.
heavy