Sorry, a real Woodworking post

I've been needing to build a drag box for my 55' Makita plunge saw guides, so I finally broke down and built it yesterday.
Using pristine Lauan plywood from some januwine Chiwanese package I received, I cut several strips of the beautiful stuff. Then I sawed a little slot in the middle of a couple shiny white fir furring strips. The middle strip is sandwiched between outers, creating the pair of roughly 5/8" x 57" pockets which protect the guides. For a quick cap, I stapled velcro strips onto another piece of fir, for a nice, secure retainer.
Well, during the staple-down, I found that half the bloody 1" long 1/8" crown staples had blown out the side, preventing the open pocket inside. <sigh> One side worked fine, so I just had to remove the other. About this time, I spied the spare piece of 1/4" oak ply in my lumber stack and decided to fab the top from that. It's much, much nicer.
4 hand-rubbed coats of Waterlox later, we have this box which I can toss into the bed of the truck when I take the plunge saw to a client site:
http://homeandgardenhandyman.com/MakitaGuideBox1.jpg
http://homeandgardenhandyman.com/MakitaGuideBox2.jpg
Q-sawn, even!
http://homeandgardenhandyman.com/MakitaGuideBox3.jpg
Note to Leon: Those are genuine Festool guide bars in those Makita guides. Pricy bastids, eh?
-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Helluva a truck bed to handle a 55 foot box, C-less...
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.

He lives in Oregon. They do logging there. Sooooo......, 55 foot trucks beds are common. ;)
Michaels wrote:

I can picture it. C-Less on a truck trailer bed with a big ol' jummy wood log and a bowsaur.
ROFLMAO!
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:33:03 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

What does a 55' Festool track cost?!
On 9/16/2012 4:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The government bought one. One of the reason for one of those trillions spent.
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:33:03 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Finger fart. Where'd that Shift key go, anyway?

See? I got it right here.

Nope. The logs ARE the "bed". http://tinyurl.com/8q8nn85
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
[...snip...]

Hmm, he's from Arkansas, right? In Orygun, we have REAL trees. Or used to.
I have to say, this isn't what I had in mind when I read "real woodworking post". Should woodworking posts now have the subject line prefixed with "OT:"?

On 9/16/2012 1:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool! Why did you not buy the Makita guide bars?

They don't make 'em. Go figure.
Y'know, the more I use that thing, the more I love it. I can set it up and cut a very small piece of moulding and never get a splinter. Loverly! And the more I use it, the more possibilities I see. I'm glad you Texas Twins suckered me into the game. <gd&r>
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
On 9/16/2012 7:11 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

With most of these caliber of power tool you never realize what else it will do until you start using it.
On 9/16/2012 1:07 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well done ... I have three guide rails and need to do the same thing. One of these days.
BTW, you sure you don't want one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
F97WFYwkU
My drug dealer twisted my arm and made me do it ... only $99 ... c'mon now, C_Less, in for a penny in for a pound, after all, Fast Efficient Safe! LOL
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I finally got a round tuit.
I want to see the one you build for your 106" long guide, Swingy.

NO MORE, ya filthy pushers.
Besides, I can live with an RCH of curve in my longer cuts. I don't need the $1,000 MF setup table, neither, ya thugs.
(MF stands for MultiFunction, or...)
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
On 9/16/2012 8:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ohhhhhhh! the SHAME!
You say that now but..... LOL
Larry Jaques wrote:

Now you need another box to protect the hand rubbed finish on this one.
--
G.W. Ross

It is better to die on your feet than

Nah! The Waterlox is tough, but when it gets scuffed, the nice thing about Waterlox is that you can simply take an old sock or sumpin' and rub some more on. Done in 15 minutes! I love my Waterlox. </gush>
-- The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often than not, unconsidered. -- Andre Gide
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:07:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

So you use a semi and a crane with that 55 foot plunge saw guides?
Mark