Some results of experimenting with soap stone. (Prelude to carving details in wood.)

Page 3 of 3

clown thought it would increase safety...as if...)
http://www.general.ca/site_gorilla/go_images/probrochuree.pdf
Robatoy said:

Cripes - that is some serious machinery. I assumed you had DIY'd something together. My lowly Unisaw bowed in reverence to this behemoth and slunk away into the parts room. 48x96 - grumble... Has anyone told you that you suck yet? As for the hat, hope it's not fluorescent orange/yellow/anything. It just isn't a General if it ain't Green with red maple leaf.
The local dealer carried General as well, and I leaned that way on the saw, but the deal on the Delta was too good to pass up. One of the last to come from Tupelo, MS. Then to China, then back to TN. The blowback from the import must have been significant.
Thanks for sharing. The brochure was interesting reading; pseudo geek that I am.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Heh. Heh heh. I think he gave up counting a long time ago. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

HEY!!! Morris's has more horsepower!!

welll.*coughs* it's /really/ 50 x 100 but what's another 2.72 sq ft? (Handy for those 49x97 sheets of MDF and melamine though.)
Robatoy said:

OK - you suck 2.72 sq ft more than you did. Happy now? ;-)
Greg G.
Morris Dovey said:

Looked good to me, even with that counterfeit quarter/Canuck slug. As for signing each brick, that's a lot of G-code to write. I'm still working, slowly, on a DIY mill, but cash flow has become an impediment to its completion. Perhaps one day I'll carve some fugly face in a block of aluminum or ebonized walnut.
I have a question - do customers actually want details of this sort engraved into their countertops or was this an experiment to test the limits of what could be done? Are you using a canned mill/software combo, or is this DIY?
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Nyet - a moderately simple subroutine could handle it (including scaling to left and right vanishing points). I was being a smartass because to do it robatoy would have to upgrade at least his steppers - and you'd need a loupe to read the sig. :)

Stay with it! You'll have even more fun with it than you could ever expect.

Robatoy has done some pretty spiffy stuff with countertops, but I think he's looking for more challenging/artful projects.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Both. So far I have been lucky to get paid for the challenges I have wrestled to the ground.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/CoffeLodge2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/CLtop2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/ClTop3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/BDayCard.jpg
The lighthouse is experimental, trying to find out where the practical (not ultimate) limits on my machine are.

I use a combo of Vectric Aspire V2 and FlashCut.
Robatoy said:

Well done and very custom - I'm sure they both loved it.
Thanks for the inut.
Greg G.
Robatoy wrote:

You're being improperly modest. Do you still have the photos of your backlit inlay work? Would you post a link, please?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

You mean this ol' thing?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Backlit.jpg
Robatoy wrote:

Wow! No. ;-) I was speaking of v-grooved and filled piece with LED backlighting.
That lithophane looks pretty good, tho - and I think you snuck in a sawhorse drive-by. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Au contraire, mon frre. That saw-horse is a Triton which I mini- reviewed quite some time ago. I dunno how I lived without it. Handiest thing ever. Handier than a bag of potato chips, handier than a pocket on a shirt.

Rob,
You bags came to the store instead of being drop shipped. I cannot remember your last name or company name to contact you (DOH!).
Please call the store.
David.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=Lighthousecnc.flv

We entered those into inventory last month. Besides, if we hadn't had them by now, either you or the fine people at Fein would have heard by now LOL But if they're 'extra'...well then..